cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex POT Promo Click Bait (not happy at all)

tag
jcooks
Established Contributor

Amex POT Promo Click Bait (not happy at all)

In March 2021, I opened up an Amex Gold.  POT was already activated, so I deactivated on the very first day.  Im May 2022, I saw a promo to activate POT for 20k points.  I activated and after a few days of activating, I also received a physical letter with the same promo.  I ignored it since I already activated the POT.  I've called numerous times and it's been escalated 3+ times over calls and chats since those points never showed.  Today I called to re-re-re-re(lost count)follow up and countless chat sessions and phone calls asking about it.  They stated that since I once had it activated in March 2021, this makes me not eligible.  I said, once the account was opened, the POT was automatically turned on, I turned it off on day 1.  I said, so this "promo" would automatically make everyone ineligble, since it's automatically turned on.  She stated that it's that way on the business plat and personal gold (the 2 charge cards I have).  She said some other charge cards are not automatically turned on.  I said, but this was a targeted offer on my Gold card.  She still said I'm not eligble.  SMH, not happy with Amex right now.  Do you guys think I should try a different person?  She claims that the past escalations went to review and said I'm not eligible.  I did also ask why they didn't notify me or call me, since I initiated the review, she said they didn't have to.  Kind of mind boggled as I wasn't being rude or offensive.  I kindly asked about my previous escalations.

pot3.PNGpot.PNG

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
C6
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex POT Promo Click Bait (not happy at all)

I'd just tell them to cancel the card if they feel that way.

Message 2 of 18
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I'd HUCA.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 18
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

I second @OmarGB9. I'd call back

AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
Message 4 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Cashbackjunky wrote:

I second @OmarGB9. I'd call back

Depending how you value your time!  You might have already expended more than 20K MR!  But as that is now sunk, may be one more try is worthwhile.

IMO, it's far from impossible for one group in a large org to decide to have a promotion "20K MR for turning on POT for the first time" while a different group has decided to automatically turn on POT (for convenience or something), not knowing, or perhaps caring, about any conflict with those rules.   So, even though it may make no sense, after many HUCA, you might be told by all "that's the rules"

Message 5 of 18
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@jcooks When you call again, don't bother mentioning that POT was already activated when the card arrived, and you deactivated it.  Your call should be asking when the 20k MR points will show up in your account.  Good luck!

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 6 of 18
Bradac56
Regular Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

@jcooks When you call again, don't bother mentioning that POT was already activated when the card arrived, and you deactivated it.  Your call should be asking when the 20k MR points will show up in your account.  Good luck!

Not sure how savy that recomendation is.  The minumum wage level care rep could see the full account and the customer requested reviews at a glance and can only put in for yet another review. 

The best chance would be to try to escalate to someone who could actually change the review but in this economy I doubt they are willing.

Message 7 of 18
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

You're trying to get 20K points for clicking a button on a website.  If it was for redirected spend I'd be pretty mad, but for this I think I'd just let it go.

Message 8 of 18
jcooks
Established Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

I never mentioned that the POT was automatically activated when I opened the card.  They brought it up, and that's when I said, but it was automatically turned on during account opening.

Message 9 of 18
jcooks
Established Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

You're trying to get 20K points for clicking a button on a website.  If it was for redirected spend I'd be pretty mad, but for this I think I'd just let it go.

Trying to only get what was offered to me.  Regardless of how little I had to do to get it, I was offered it and am not getting the offer.  I don't see the logic on this.  This "promo" is to get people to turn on POT so they can somehow carry over a balance.  It's marketing to try to get people to pay interest.  I played by their rules, I'm not finding any loop holes.oh-you-almost-had-it-you-gotta-be-quicker-than-that.jpg

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.