Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG & Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX PRG & CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED

wait...pull my credit report for what again???

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 21 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

Hey, I once paid $800 for a fountain pen because it improved (I thought it did anyway) my penmanship.  

Value is each person's utility of satisfaction.  For objective measures (in the finance world), we need to remove all subjective valuation, such as CC rewards per se.  But, that doesn't mean one doesn't have "emotional" value; it's just pointless to measure it.

For some, $2,500 a year is worth the "emotional" value of the Amex Centurion.

Message 22 of 42
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@zeusta20 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Start with pulling your FREE Credit Report's from annualcreditreport.com. They tend to have more info on them than ones from a 3rd party. The Credit Reports from annualcreditreport.com, come directly from each of the CRA's. You can pull 1 Free Credit Report from TU, EQ and EX every 12 months.

Save your money and Don't Buy the Scores, they are what we call FAKO's.

@zeusta20 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@zeusta20 wrote:

gotcha. Okay...I guess I'll just have to stick to one card then. As much as I would like BOTH the CSP and PRG, (I guess just for the idea of having two premier cards at hand lol), its not logical to use both when it comes to these two specific cards.

You know what?  Life is short.  If you enjoy the metal CSP and having it improves your enjoyment of life and using cards, I think it's worth $95 for a year.  

I agree with this, if you're happy with CSP, just keep it and forget about PRG!  its worth $95 per year to be happy over metal Smiley Happy

Is that sarcasm I hear in your post?? lol

I just like the fact its revolving too vs the amex being a charge card. Whereas, if I make a large purchase, i'm going to have to remember that i'm going to have to pay that back at the end of the month. Which i've been doing fine THUS far. But, if an emergency were to come up, and I couldn't PIF, then i'm screwed. Thats one of my fears of using my amex too. Its not like a checking account where the money comes out immediately and you know how much you have, so on and so forth. I just like to be EXTRA CAREFUL.lol.

NO WAY!  I pay $40 per year to keep zync because I like the glitter, and I pay $175 per year because I like the Gold glitter. And I also paid probably twice as much for a car with the "Platinum Package" and eyeglasses because of the Brand name... and I pay probably 3X too much for a wallet because of the brand name.   Those are little things in life that if they make you feel better and improve the quality of your life, then they are definately worth it!

LOL....oh lord, you just described my whole life story just now...hahahahaha. Thats the whole reason why I'm having these stupid conversations in my head int he first place!! LOL

haha, no need to have an internal conversation about it. Just get to the point where you figure out that "My happiness is worth an extra  <insert dollar amount here> to make me happy and then there is no guilt.  Besides, I work hard to support my family and I do without a lot of things that for most people are free such as time, weekends, some holidays... the reason its worth it is because in the end I know they are taken care of, and I can enjoy those little things like putting on a pair of designer glasses, or going to work in a luxury car, and paying for groceries with a card that sparkles...  plus when my kid is older I can make her an ACM on the cards to help her out and I wont' have to worry about her so much when she's in college because she'll have all the tools she needs to be able to take care of herself if there is an emergency and I will have provided that for her. So ya, there is a certain amount of satisfaction that comes with having certain "things"  and they (in some small way) make up for some but not all of the sacrifices I made along the way to be in the position where I have a choice of which card to carry.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

Right, the backdating until time immemorial makes Amex absolutely unique amongst all other issuers.

Message 24 of 42
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@zeusta20 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Start with pulling your FREE Credit Report's from annualcreditreport.com. They tend to have more info on them than ones from a 3rd party. The Credit Reports from annualcreditreport.com, come directly from each of the CRA's. You can pull 1 Free Credit Report from TU, EQ and EX every 12 months.

Save your money and Don't Buy the Scores, they are what we call FAKO's.

@zeusta20 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@zeusta20 wrote:

gotcha. Okay...I guess I'll just have to stick to one card then. As much as I would like BOTH the CSP and PRG, (I guess just for the idea of having two premier cards at hand lol), its not logical to use both when it comes to these two specific cards.

You know what?  Life is short.  If you enjoy the metal CSP and having it improves your enjoyment of life and using cards, I think it's worth $95 for a year.  

I agree with this, if you're happy with CSP, just keep it and forget about PRG!  its worth $95 per year to be happy over metal Smiley Happy

Is that sarcasm I hear in your post?? lol

I just like the fact its revolving too vs the amex being a charge card. Whereas, if I make a large purchase, i'm going to have to remember that i'm going to have to pay that back at the end of the month. Which i've been doing fine THUS far. But, if an emergency were to come up, and I couldn't PIF, then i'm screwed. Thats one of my fears of using my amex too. Its not like a checking account where the money comes out immediately and you know how much you have, so on and so forth. I just like to be EXTRA CAREFUL.lol.

NO WAY!  I pay $40 per year to keep zync because I like the glitter, and I pay $175 per year because I like the Gold glitter. And I also paid probably twice as much for a car with the "Platinum Package" and eyeglasses because of the Brand name... and I pay probably 3X too much for a wallet because of the brand name.   Those are little things in life that if they make you feel better and improve the quality of your life, then they are definately worth it!

LOL....oh lord, you just described my whole life story just now...hahahahaha. Thats the whole reason why I'm having these stupid conversations in my head int he first place!! LOL

haha, no need to have an internal conversation about it. Just get to the point where you figure out that "My happiness is worth an extra  <insert dollar amount here> to make me happy and then there is no guilt.  Besides, I work hard to support my family and I do without a lot of things that for most people are free such as time, weekends, some holidays... the reason its worth it is because in the end I know they are taken care of, and I can enjoy those little things like putting on a pair of designer glasses, or going to work in a luxury car, and paying for groceries with a card that sparkles...  plus when my kid is older I can make her an ACM on the cards to help her out and I wont' have to worry about her so much when she's in college because she'll have all the tools she needs to be able to take care of herself if there is an emergency and I will have provided that for her. So ya, there is a certain amount of satisfaction that comes with having certain "things"  and they (in some small way) make up for some but not all of the sacrifices I made along the way to be in the position where I have a choice of which card to carry.

Well thats good. Good for you that you take care of your family so well. Hey, you know what, sometimes you deserve those "little things" since you work so hard. I paid about 400.00 for a wallet, and everybody went crazy...lol. But I mean, I work hard for my money, and I feel like I deserved to treat myself. Same reason I decided to take a vacation to Peru.

I think I may just upgrade..haha. And I can always down grade later if I get tired of paying the AF.lol.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 25 of 42
zeusta20
Established Contributor

yup. I agree. Which is why my amex was such a success when I got it. The fact that amex is extremely sought after, made me want it that much more.lol. And they're going to be around forever. So there's no

@Open123 wrote:

Right, the backdating until time immemorial makes Amex absolutely unique amongst all other issuers.

worry in that.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 26 of 42
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Well thats good. Good for you that you take care of your family so well. Hey, you know what, sometimes you deserve those "little things" since you work so hard. I paid about 400.00 for a wallet, and everybody went crazy...lol. But I mean, I work hard for my money, and I feel like I deserved to treat myself. Same reason I decided to take a vacation to Peru.

I think I may just upgrade..haha. And I can always down grade later if I get tired of paying the AF.lol.

Who is everybody and why should they care if you carry a $400 wallet?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 27 of 42
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Friends, family, coworkers, etc. and exactly!!! They feel like its a stupid decision to spend 400.00 on a wallet. To me it's like, I worked for it, I deserve it. I work hard just like everybody else. If anything, everybody else asks ME for help. If there's one thing to be proud of, it's that I can honestly say, I rely on no one. And I'm proud to have gotten where I'm at because I did what I needed to do.
Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 28 of 42
zeusta20
Established Contributor

When it comes to friends and family, I like to help. Sometimes I end up helping too much tho. My sister has pretty bad credit than. I added her on to my Amex account as an AU to help build her credit because she's trying to buy a house. It brought it up, but not enough for the house she was wanting to buy, so then she asked me to co-sign on the house. At that point, I had to draw the line.lol.

I co-sign for NO ONE.lol. I've never ever been late on a payment, and I don't plan on it any time soon.
Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 29 of 42
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Following up on what was mentioned above, you can get 4x points for airfare on CSP if you purchase on Travelocity through UR Mall.  I think it' 3x for Expedia.  So you can earn similar points for airfare with CSP. 

I carry both CSP and PRG, but I am likely dropping PRG when it comes due this year as I am not spending as much money on airfare as I was a couple years ago.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.