Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG & Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Amex PRG & Chase Sapphire Preferred

Does anyone have both of these cards? And do you think its a good combo? or is it just a waste of money to pay a higher annual fee for the PRG when you could just simply use the CSP for everything.

I know I keep talking about upgrading my amex but I'm wondering if i'd get a lot of benefits from upgrading and using it as a combo. I figured, my CSP, I'd get double points on travel AND restaurants. Whereas with the PRG, I'd get TRIPLE the points on travel and double on gas, and double on supermarkets. So if I used CSP for Restaurants and the PRG for gas and travel, i'd be getting rewards from all directions.

BUT, i'm wondering if my downside is that i'm building up my points with amex but barely building it up with CSP.

Any thoughts? Waste of money for PRG or no?

(caps not needed in title --Rev)

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX PRG & CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED

I still think that CSP and PRG overlap too much to justify the AF on both...

What you could do is downgrade your CSP to regular Sapphire, or Amazon and get your 2X on restaurants with no AF and upgrade your green to PRG.

That way your AFs are actually cheaper... I dont build a lot of chase points with the amazon, but I did get about $300 cash back last year from Amazon Chase card. I usually redeem for either cash, or pay with points at amazon

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 42
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

What you could do is downgrade your CSP to regular Sapphire, or Amazon and get your 2X on restaurants with no AF and upgrade your green to PRG.

That way your AFs are actually cheaper 

I know...that actually makes complete sense.

I guess my judgement is just clouded by the metal of the card...lol. I like that touch. I know its not a reason to make a decision though. hmmm....

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 3 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

Have a hard time imagining having both and paying both annual fees.  

There are instances where this would make sense, but you'd have to spend quite a bit on airlines and hit the PR Gold's $30K annual spend.

Message 4 of 42
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@zeusta20 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

I guess my judgement is just clouded by the metal of the card...lol. I like that touch. I know its not a reason to make a decision though. hmmm....

I dont know if the regular Sapphire is made of metal.

FICO 9:

Message 5 of 42
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

There are instances where this would make sense, but you'd have to spend quite a bit on airlines and hit the PR Gold's $30K annual spend.

yea, thats true. And I don't think I spend 30k. I guess part of me also wants to build a better relationship with AMEX. The way my (weird) mind works, is that if I only have the Amex Green, then it doesn't look as good of a relationship as if I were to have the Gold or the PRG

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 6 of 42
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@zeusta20 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

I dont know if the regular Sapphire is made of metal.

From what I heard, I don't think it is.

I DO like the benefits of the CSP though. Especially the 7% dividend that i'd get back at the end of the year for points.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 7 of 42
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@zeusta20 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

yea, thats true. And I don't think I spend 30k. I guess part of me also wants to build a better relationship with AMEX. The way my (weird) mind works, is that if I only have the Amex Green, then it doesn't look as good of a relationship as if I were to have the Gold or the PRG

The relationship with Amex has nothing to do with which card you carry.  I had the Zync, which is their lowest card... and then in January I apped for Amex lowes and PRG. Lowes was first and they gave me a crazy limit.

I think they base your relationship off of spending pattern and payment pattern.

If you don't spend 30k then I dont know if PRG is worth it.  I like the 15k bonus better than I would like a 7% dividend. 

FICO 9:

Message 8 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

@zeusta20 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

When it comes to travel rewards, I think both Chase and Amex are pretty important to have and build a good relationship.  

If you need no forex, you're better off with the CSP and regular "green," or even with the Blue.  If you don't need the no forex feature, you may be better off keeping the PR Gold (assuming you have airline spending), and downgrading to regular Sapphire.  

Either way, in lieu of sign up bonsuses, you're better off spending on one card (especially if you hit the $30k mark on the PR Gold), as opposed to divvying up between several.

Message 9 of 42
zeusta20
Established Contributor

gotcha. Okay...I guess I'll just have to stick to one card then. As much as I would like BOTH the CSP and PRG, (I guess just for the idea of having two premier cards at hand lol), its not logical to use both when it comes to these two specific cards.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.