Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG offer (Existing cardholders)

tag
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Amex PRG offer (Existing cardholders)

Hello all,

so this is my situation, I have a platinum card that was upgraded from a PRG not long ago. I was surfing the Amex website and noticed they have the 25K MR offer for the PRG and was thinking about applying. I am aware that it says that if you have or have had the card, you don't qualify for the welcome offer. My question is, does Amex enforce that term?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Amex PRG offer (Existing cardholders)

@Jaylima91 wrote:

Hello all,

so this is my situation, I have a platinum card that was upgraded from a PRG not long ago. I was surfing the Amex website and noticed they have the 25K MR offer for the PRG and was thinking about applying. I am aware that it says that if you have or have had the card, you don't qualify for the welcome offer. My question is, does Amex enforce that term?

When did you first get the PRG that was upgraded?

My guess is if that card was issued in 2014 or earlier, it might not have started the clock for "one per lifetime" of bonus earnings.

I got a Delta Gold in mid-2013 with a bonus. Got a Delta Platinum in early 2014 with a small bonus. Closed the Delta Platinum a few months later.

Got an offer to upgrade the Delta Gold to Delta Platinum a few months ago, with a small bonus included. Took that offer. It may be that the in-place PC bonus is counted as a separate bonus type, it may be that the earlier bonuses did not start the clock for One Per lifetime.

I don't have the answer, but what is the downside if you dont get the bonus? The AF is still waived the first year, right? Earnings rate on certain types of purchases is better with PRG. Extending the thought, why go for just 25k MR when the 50k MR does appear from time to time?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 6
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

I am actually waiting for the 50K bonus but only if someone can confirm receipt of a welcome offer when they technically weren't eligible for it. I upgraded to the platinum this month in fact. Hasn't been 30 days since the upgrade. The prg was opened sept of 2014.
Message 3 of 6
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

It is my understanding, and others can certainly chime in, that if you received a bonus on PRG when you apped for that than thats it.  Thats why the advice around here on PLAT is to wait until the 100k offer comes around rather than apping for the usual 40k.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 4 of 6
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

If I don't qualify for the PRG welcome offer then I will not qualify for the Plat 100k offer since I've received the Plat welcome offer in the past. Smiley Sad thanks for the insight!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express does not usually give out free points when you whine like Chase does. it is worth it to try though! Explain on an upgrade you missed out on potentially a whole trip your co-worker who cold app was awarded.
If you are married that is less important you could use hers/his/calipronoun
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.