Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG retention?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PRG retention?

I'm approaching the 1 year anniversary of my PRG and simply can't find any reason to justify keeping it open and paying the fee this year, I simply have better cards with no fee's. Has anyone been getting any good retention offers lately? I've tried calling twice, once they were closed the second the hold would have been quite some time. Just checking to see if it's worth trying to keep trying to call back or just close the card and forget it.

I burned all of my points on gift cards today.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex PRG retention?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm approaching the 1 year anniversary of my PRG and simply can't find any reason to justify keeping it open and paying the fee this year, I simply have better cards with no fee's. Has anyone been getting any good retention offers lately? I've tried calling twice, once they were closed the second the hold would have been quite some time. Just checking to see if it's worth trying to keep trying to call back or just close the card and forget it.

I burned all of my points on gift cards today.

If you can't find a reason to keep it open then close it. YMMV with retention offers but if you are not putting any spend on the card I doubt they will give you one since they are not gaining anything (i.e. swipe fees). I have gotten cards in the past solely for the bonus and have closed it once the year is over. Many others have done it as well. 

Message 2 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

On Flyertalk, people seem to be getting things like this:

Person 1:  (Told rep they were planning to switch to CSR):  

Some people pay 39,000 MR points to renew. He said he could discount to 19,000
2,500 MR points right now...5,000 more after $1,000 spend for total of 7,500 MR points
$75 statement credit here and now

Person 2:  Offered $100 cash or 20KMR (5k MR points today and 15k after 3k spend in 92 days)  (also offered the 19K MR to pay AF)

Person 3: Offered $75 cash or 7500MR for $1000 spend in 3 months. $15K spent last year.

so nothing huge but worth a try if you are interested.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like retention offers are based on spend. Did you use your PRG a lot during the past year?
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent way more than those examples given earlier and yet got no retention on my green so i just closed it.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had put about 10k through it earlier in the year, but maybe 2k in the last few months. So it doesn't sound like they simply waive the fee these days. I'll just close it.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I feel like AF are important to Amex (since no interest charges) and are less likely to waive them unless you spend a ton on it.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok account closed!
They did offer me some type of $75 offer to keep it open another year, but I did not ask for more details.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh so there was a retention offer?!
Message 9 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok account closed!
They did offer me some type of $75 offer to keep it open another year, but I did not ask for more details.

Some people do get better offers at even the $10k spend level...it's definitely YMMV...but $75 seems reasonable (unless there's some absurd minimum spend requirement).

$195 AF, less the $100 airfare extras credit (if you can use it), less the $75 retention credit means a net AF of only $20.

Maybe you have other premium cards, though, and just find it superfluous at even that price.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.