Did you mean: 

Amex PRG retention?

YupYup413
Established Contributor

Re: Amex PRG retention?

@wasCB14 wrote:

@YupYup413 wrote:
Ok account closed!
They did offer me some type of $75 offer to keep it open another year, but I did not ask for more details.

Some people do get better offers at even the $10k spend level...it's definitely YMMV...but $75 seems reasonable (unless there's some absurd minimum spend requirement).

$195 AF, less the $100 airfare extras credit (if you can use it), less the $75 retention credit means a net AF of only $20.

Maybe you have other premium cards, though, and just find it superfluous at even that price.

I did not see myself using the airline credit this year. As far as cash back and stuff this card could not compete with my other cards.

NFCU-Capital One-Chase-Discover-AMEX-Costco-Store cards
Total CL: 150k+
Message 11 of 15
Pooka89
Frequent Contributor

Retention offers are strictly based on your overall relationship with and "value" to American Express. There are many variables such as spend, payment history, account's age, overall membership age, number of cards held by Centurion Bank/FSB, number of previous credits (including retention offers, fee waivers, bonus points, etc). Other people's retention offers will be unrelated to what you may or may not be offered by retentions.
My Exclusive Personal Driver:
American Express Platinum Card for Schwab
The Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite (when merchants don’t accept AXP because they foolishly claim the fee is too high)

My Exclusive Business Driver:
The Business Platinum Card from American Express
Message 12 of 15
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I will see what I offered when I close mine in the next day or two. Decided to replace my PRG and my BCP with a shiny new EDP so I don't have a use for this card. Had it less than a year and spent about 10k on it. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Thank You Premier 52K | EDP 52k | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 13 of 15
12velectronics
Valued Contributor

@Pooka89 wrote:
Retention offers are strictly based on your overall relationship with and "value" to American Express. There are many variables such as spend, payment history, account's age, overall membership age, number of cards held by Centurion Bank/FSB, number of previous credits (including retention offers, fee waivers, bonus points, etc). Other people's retention offers will be unrelated to what you may or may not be offered by retentions.

Good information Pooka, thank you. I figured retention had alot to do with how loyal & 'good' a customer is to American Express. 

Message 14 of 15
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I did not get a retention offer. Then again, I did tell her that I was very satisfied with AMEX and she could see my other AMEX cards so the lady probably didn't feel the need to offer retention if I was staying with AMEX anyway. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Thank You Premier 52K | EDP 52k | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.