Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG to Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PRG to Platinum

Hey All,

I currently have the Amex PRG and wanted to convert it to the Amex Platinum.  My question is, would amex give me a welcome offer for the platinum since I technically never had that card before? Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex PRG to Platinum

I'm not 100 but I think you need to apply to get the bonus.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I'm pretty sure you would have to apply for the Patinum to get the welcome offer. Give it a try...see what you get...good luck!!

Message 3 of 14
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

I have the PRG and AmEx has been offering me an upgrade to Platinum 50,000MR for $5,000 (3 month) spend for the past 2 months or so.

I used to have a upgrade to Platinum for 25,000MR, no spend required.

The offers are out there, keep an eye out in your offers section. Sometimes they'll put the upgrade offer on your front page, no searching needed.

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You absolutely must upgrade in response to a targeted upgrade offer (meaning by phone) or apply separately. If you simply "product change", you will not get a bonus, nor will you be eligible for a bonus down the road.
Message 5 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey All,

I currently have the Amex PRG and wanted to convert it to the Amex Platinum.  My question is, would amex give me a welcome offer for the platinum since I technically never had that card before? Thank you in advance.

Check your account. Sometimes they offer you the ability to upgrade and get an upgrade offer. Won't be as many points as you could get signing up for the card, but works well if you really want the card but don't want to do a new app. Does anyone know if you upgrade from a PRG to Plat and get the upgrade bonus are you still able to get a signup bonus in the future based on a new app for the amex plat? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an upgrade offer from PRG to Platinum with the 60k points/5k spend.

Message 7 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Targeted offers are out there and most of the 50k are 60k now with the increase in AF. I got 50k for $3k spend to upgrade my Green to Platinum. I believe AmEx is firm that it is one offer per card type per lifetime, so a new app after accepting an upgrade offer would not be eligible for a sign up bonus.
Message 8 of 14
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

I am considering the Platinum because I really want the travel benefits (I don't have a serious travel card), are their offers pretty solid, I'm showing a welcome offer for the Platinum of 60K?

Message 9 of 14
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

@AllCredit wrote:

I am considering the Platinum because I really want the travel benefits (I don't have a serious travel card), are their offers pretty solid, I'm showing a welcome offer for the Platinum of 60K?

60K is the current best offer. They occasionaly do 75K and have very very rarely done 100K.  I don't even travel a lot, but the benefits are easy to cover in just one trip for two people: Get a a few drinks on the plane, before and after your flight stop in a priority lounge, book a hotel (gold with hilton and SPG), and rent a car.  That right there can cover $550 in expenses. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.