Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG upgrade to Platinum offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PRG upgrade to Platinum offer

One year ago I began my cc rebuild with PRG. Today I received an upgrade offer from Amex for the Platinum. 60,000 MR for 5k spend/ 3 months.

Few questions if anyone knows:

I haven't been charged my gold annual fee. I am on month 13. Will they charge me the gold annual fee even if I upgrade?

Does the platinum charge their fee after the year is up? Or would I most likely get hit for that in place of the gold?

Will it change my account and show up as a new account? I am getting ready to app for a mortgage in 4-5 months and don't want to get a new account.

Also I had gotten a sign up bonus for my PRG, if I did this and then got a green card, would there be a chance for an upgrade with a bonus for the gold PRG again? Just not sure if a SUB is considered the same as an upgrade.

Thank you

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex PRG upgrade to Platinum offer

@Anonymous wrote:

One year ago I began my cc rebuild with PRG. Today I received an upgrade offer from Amex for the Platinum. 60,000 MR for 5k spend/ 3 months.

I haven't been charged my gold annual fee. I am on month 13. Will they charge me the gold annual fee even if I upgrade? No.

Does the platinum charge their fee after the year is up? Or would I most likely get hit for that in place of the gold? You'll get hit for that instead of gold, usually. 

Will it change my account and show up as a new account? No, that's the beauty of an upgrade with Amex. I am getting ready to app for a mortgage in 4-5 months and don't want to get a new account.

Also I had gotten a sign up bonus for my PRG, if I did this and then got a green card, would there be a chance for an upgrade with a bonus for the gold PRG again? No. Amex has a once in a lifetime rule. You can only get a bonus for a card once. This is why you want to make sure your upgrade offer is the best you can get because you only have one shot at it.  Just not sure if a SUB is considered the same as an upgrade.

Thank you

I would check cardmatch before you upgrade and see if you are targeted for the 100K MR offer on the Platinum card, before accepting an upgrade offer. Good luck! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't been charged my gold annual fee. I am on month 13. Will they charge me the gold annual fee even if I upgrade?

Does the platinum charge their fee after the year is up? Or would I most likely get hit for that in place of the gold?

Will it change my account and show up as a new account? I am getting ready to app for a mortgage in 4-5 months and don't want to get a new account.

Also I had gotten a sign up bonus for my PRG, if I did this and then got a green card, would there be a chance for an upgrade with a bonus for the gold PRG again? Just not sure if a SUB is considered the same as an upgrade.

Thank you

The upgrade will be the same account, higher AF. If the Gold fee has not posted yet, and you take the upgrade, they will probably post the Gold fee, refund / prorate it, and then update the AF amounts to the $550 Platinum AF. There is no free first year with AMEX Platinum through Centurion Bank.

I agree with the idea to check Cardmatch for the 100k MR offer. It can't hurt, and it will be the only opportunity to get it, if you decide to take this 60k upgrade offer.

Congrats, that's a nice upgrade offer.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know why amex keep telling people this is an update. It's not.

Plat and gold cover completely different spending categories. You may want to first confirm you don't actually need gold, before you convert it to platinum.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ this. Gold is a terrific daily driver card with its “everyday” MR bonus earnings on dining and groceries. Plat is a travel card, pure and simple. If you’re not traveling enough to justify the fee and also justify the loss of the earnings that Gold gives, you may regret changing it. Crunch the numbers and see if Plat is really a fit for you.
Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't know why amex keep telling people this is an update. It's not.

Plat and gold cover completely different spending categories. You may want to first confirm you don't actually need gold, before you convert it to platinum.

Most likely  because they consider it an update to their bottom line, mo $ Smiley Wink Now upgrade....Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Hi OP,

Just keep in mind if you check for a higher sign up bonus offer and apply that way, it's no longer an upgrade and will post as a new account on your credit report, which is something that you stated you wanted to avoid.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do agree the gold is a good daily card. But in the year I have had it, I have never used the $120 credit for eating out. I have meant to but never remembered.

I have the Savor card so I get my 4% on that card if I do switch for dining. And I will get 2% on groceries as well. I will lose 2% but that won’t really be too much of a loss. The wife and I spend an average of $100 a week on groceries but most of that comes from Costco. And she has a Citi Costco card that covers us there.

I don’t travel a ton, but I think I should be able to break even on the card. Still weighing it out though. I definitely will not upgrade if I have to pay the fee upfront. I’d rather see that I’m getting the value first.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did check cardmatch and nothing was there.

Thank you ChessChik for the heads up. I do not want a new account. Almost back up to AAoA of 2 years and need that for my mortgage score. I dropped around 20 points when I dipped below that threshold.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.