Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PRG vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

I'm looking for a good all-around rewards card. I'm leaning toward the PRG right now because I spend a lot on gas, and their repuation for customer service. However, the CSP seems to have a better rewards program, with more flexibility, and a lower AF. Which would you recommend and why? Also, if I went with Amex, I'd want a good Visa (maybe Signature) or MC with little to no annual fee for vendors who don't take Amex. Any recommendations? Much appreciated

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RonDawg
Contributor

Re: Amex PRG vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking for a good all-around rewards card. I'm leaning toward the PRG right now because I spend a lot on gas, and their repuation for customer service. However, the CSP seems to have a better rewards program, with more flexibility, and a lower AF. Which would you recommend and why? Also, if I went with Amex, I'd want a good Visa (maybe Signature) or MC with little to no annual fee for vendors who don't take Amex. Any recommendations? Much appreciated

I don't know about the Chase Saphire card but I can tell you about AmEx PRG card because I have it.  You can do 1 to 1 transfer for airline points and hotel points and you can use the points to pay for travel or merchandise as well.  AmEx is a NPSL card so there is no credit limit but it is not a credit card either its a charge card so you have to pay it off every month unless you have the Pay over time feature (and yes its a feature, at least so they say) you have to be invited for Pay over time.  The gold card gives you access to Gold Card events and Gold Card travel which are unique to AmEx. You should check those out.  AmEx also gives a lot of built in insurance that other credit cards don't always give.  True $175 a year can be a big fee but you get 3x the points when you fly and 2 x on Gas and Groceries the points can add up fast.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it would depend on what you really plan on your spending. If you buy a lot of gas/groceries then you would ultimately earn points faster with PRG. If you eat out a lot, then the CSP would get you points faster. The other consideration is what do you plan on doing with your accrued points? If it is travel, I hear UR can be better than MR's. But, if your preferred airline is in the MR portfolio then it could be a toss up. 

Message 3 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Also, travel on the csp does not only count flying. Taxis, toll charges, buses, trains, travel agencies, hotels and stuff like that count as well.

As far as charge vs credit, the CSP is also a NPSL card like the amex PRG, but you can revolve a balance on it. However amy balance that is over your current credit limit must be PIF by the due date.
Message 4 of 8
adavis425
Established Contributor

How about both? Smiley Surprised CSP is the siggy Visa you'd want for those places that don't accept AMEX and you'd have the best of both rewards worlds.

Edited for spelling.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 5 of 8
distantarray
Established Contributor

I think the 4 best cards are sapphire + freedom + US Cash + and Amex BCP

Freedom and sapphire maxes out your 5% and gets 6% out of your categories + more if you have checking

US cash+ for 5% restaurants and 5% billpay (you choose)

BCP for groceries 6% and 3% on gas/department stores.

I like billpay but if you want you can use that for travel. on US cash + I don't buy that many tickets and we have 3 businesses so we have a lot of bills to pay lol. Freedom catagories + sapphire travel bonus gets all the travel points I would need. that an the Ultimate rewards mall getting 10 points per dollar extra on steaks etc.

I also don't think a dedicated gas card is nessasary to have another card, because BCP does 3% and Sapphire does 5% and 6% for travel with sapphire so  that's 4.5% average since there's usually 6months of Freedom gas bonuses. You lose 0.5% but I don't think that much is worth getting another card for most people.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@adavis425 wrote:

How about both? Smiley Surprised CSP is the siggy Visa you'd want for those places that don't accept AMEX and you'd have the best of both rewards worlds.

Edited for spelling.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was thinking about this. I'll definitely try it for the first year since the AF is waived on both. I'll have to see if I use the CSP enough to justify the $95 fee. Using it for dining might get me there. Also, I'd like to keep it to just a couple cards for simplicity's sake. I currently only have a card issued from my local bank, but it doesn't have a rewards system or anything, so it will likely get sockdrawered. 

Message 7 of 8
BullsEye10
New Contributor

Just giving my .02, but I currently hold the CSP and the AMEX Platinum, and like you, I like to keepo things simple, and as such these (with my ATM card) are all that I carry.

The reward programs are both great, but in different ways.

I have found Chase Ultimate Rewards to be bad when it comes to airline miles (can only transfer to United or SouthWest for domestic carriers and I never use those carriers), but great when it comes to hotels (1:1 transfer with Hyatt, which I think has the best program; 1:1 with Marriott; 1:1 with Ritz Carlton; and 1:1 with Priority Club Hotels).  The initial 40,000 points for spending 3k in the first 3 months has already turned into: a 2 night stay at the Hyatt in Manhattan (would have been just under $800.00 including taxes had I paid cash); and a 1 night stay in Albany at a Marriott (would have been $130.00 had I paid cash).  That is almost a 1k savings for signing up for a card and buying things I would ordinarily buy anyway.  In addition, the points add up fairly quickly if you like to dine out or travel (as stated above, 2x points for all restaurants and travel related purchases)

As for AMEX, it is much better for flights, as they have partnered with more domestic airlines where you can transfer points on a 1:1 basis (Delta; JetBlue; Frontier; Virgin and more international carriers as well)  That said, for hotels they aren't that great, as their best partner, Starwood, gives an atrocious exchange rate of 1 Starwood point for every 3 AMEX points; and the Hilton program, while giving a better exchange rate (1.5 Hilton points for 1 AMEX point) requires more points for a free night than the Hyatt does for their better proerties in big cities.

That's why I carry both.  I like the hotels with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, and the airlines with AMEX (and I enjoy the lounge access with the Platinum card).

That said, you may be better served with the CSP and the AMEX Starwood card ... there has been a lot written about the Starwood card, namely that it is thebest travel card on the market, and I will probably pull the trigger on it early next year myself.

Keep us informed!

AMEX Platinum - NPSL (Approved for $75,000.00)
AMEX Gold Business - NPSL
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22,500.00)
Bank of America Cash Rewards ($5,000.00) - Sock Drawer
Discover ($4,500.00) - Sock Drawer
Capital One Venture ($7,500) - Sock Drawer
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.