Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Pay It Feature: Gimmick?

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Amex Pay It Feature: Gimmick?

Has anyone really use the Pay It Feature? Usually $100 or less charges on my account, I have the option of the Pay It button for the individual charges. I just don't know the difference between this and just submitting a payment the usual way. I guess it gives more options for the consumer (and whatever helps consumers control their debt/spending), but looks gimmicky to me. Just thinking out loud here...Smiley Tongue 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Pay It Feature: Gimmick?

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

Has anyone really use the Pay It Feature? Usually $100 or less charges on my account, I have the option of the Pay It button for the individual charges. I just don't know the difference between this and just submitting a payment the usual way. I guess it gives more options for the consumer (and whatever helps consumers control their debt/spending), but looks gimmicky to me. Just thinking out loud here...Smiley Tongue 

I only use  "plan it" when they have a 0% APR promotional offer.

Message 2 of 6
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

I only use  "plan it" when they have a 0% APR promotional offer.

Yeah the "plan it" is definitely more useful. Haven't used it, but would only use it is 0% APR or lower APR than what my Amex revolver has

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 3 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

I tried the Pay It button on a few charges. I got the impression it was going to process multiple payments, one for each actual charge, rather than accumulating them for the day.

I guess if some new cardholder was trying to cycle a lot of charges through a low limit card, it might get around the "one payment" rule, but I don't know if "Pay It" is something you earn, thus not available to newby AMEX holders.

So I would have to agree with the Gimmick label for Pay It. 

Plan It is useful, I use that regularly.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yeah I don't understand what the point of Pay It is at all. I guess maybe if psychologically you enjoy paying off specific purchases? But it's just as easy to just submit a payment for the amount. 

Gimmick IMO 

Message 5 of 6
SarahJo
Established Contributor

I do not use it myself as the primary cardholder, but it has proved useful to AU's on my Amex when they login to their personal portal (husband and son) for specific personal purchases.  Keeps things cut and dry. 

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.