Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Pay Over Time Limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Pay Over Time Limit

Maybe this has been asked before but I can't find an answer anywhere. How does Amex manage POT limit increases? Do they automatically increase it over time or are you able to request an increase after some amount of time?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Pay Over Time Limit

I will defer to those with more intimate Amex knowledge on limit changes, but I would suggest that people view Amex POT charge accounts and credit revolver limits differently.

A limit for a credit revolver account means you may carry a balance up to that limit, though keeping in mind what high utilization will do to your scores.

A $35,000 limit for a Amex POT charge account should not be interpreted to mean that you may habitually carry a $35,000 balance, but rather that $35,000 is hard upper bound if you do not pay in full. Charging privileges can be cut before that threshold.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have a basic understanding of how it works and how it differs from a typical revolving credit card. I'm still curious about how AMEX determines POT limits and adjusts them over the lifetime of a charge card account.
Message 3 of 14
charp150
Valued Member

I've had two POT increases over the course of about a year.  1K -> 10K -> 35K.  AMEX did not push a notification to me when the increases occurred so I don't know how they were distributed over time.  I've never used POT before and don't plan to.  I've never seen a link to ask for an increase, maybe you could by calling in.  Some people have POT provisioned out of the gate while others get it at 6 months.  I was the ladder.  I recieved an email offering some MR points to enroll and accepted.  The POT was activated a couple of months (IIRC) later.  I have POT @ 35K on my Gold charge but don't have it on my Platinum. 

Message 4 of 14
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure how it works.  On my Amex Gold (formerly PRG) the limit was $20k when the account was opened over a year ago...just looked now when I saw this thread and saw that it has been bumped to $30k.  I also checked my Platinum which was at $30k when opened and it's not $35k.  I don't when they changed or why...but that's where they sit as of this posting. 

Message 5 of 14
PDXoriginal
Regular Contributor

Why even bother? The POT limit doesn't show on your credit report or even factor into your overall credit limit or utilization. Asking for a higher POT limit isn't even worth the effort.

And you'd be a fool to even think about carrying a balance considering how high the interest rate is. Besides, Amex would shut you down before you even came close to maxing out the POT limit.

Message 6 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

You cannot ask for a higher POT limit. Amex determines it at their own discretion. Being shut down when approaching the limit is going to depend on a lot of factors. This fool (me) carried close to the $35k limit on TWO charge cards at the ridiculous APR of 13-14% for close to a decade without being shut down. That was much better than some of the other APRs at the time.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is weird when it comes to the POT. I have $35,000 on my Platinum and HAD $5000 on my Business Green. I carried a short term balance of $4000 on the platinum for a couple months and then paid it off. I made a $4200 purchase on the Business Green and they promptly cancelled the POT option on that card even though I paid the balance off 30 days later. I have around $70,000 of revolving credit and the 35k Plat/POT with Amex at zero balance so I'm not sure why they got spooked. It probably has to do with the high purchase to available credit ratio.  

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. I'm not considering carrying a POT balance, I'm just curious about how it works. Got it off the bat on my new Gold card and wanted know if there would be any room for growth.
Message 9 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
You cannot ask for a higher POT limit. Amex determines it at their own discretion. Being shut down when approaching the limit is going to depend on a lot of factors. This fool (me) carried close to the $35k limit on TWO charge cards at the ridiculous APR of 13-14% for close to a decade without being shut down. That was much better than some of the other APRs at the time.

K you are a madman.....Thanks for contributing to their EPS.....

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.