Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Pay Over Time eligibility?

tag
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Pay Over Time eligibility?

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened my PRG account in Aug 2016. That was my first ever Amex card. Got the POT offer in october 2016. Enrolled on 5th october tobe exact. 2 months after being approved for their card ( my first Amex) .i think they might be checking the overall credit profile & payment historyScreenshot_20170321-142549.png

I was never really interested in AMEX charge cards but after seeing this thread and realizing they give the best of both worlds in a sense with a nice POT limit, I'm really thinking of getting a PRG now. AMEX has been bombarding me with mailers for the Gold and Platinum. May think it over...

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GetTheFico wrote:
You may get lucky and get a bonus to add the pay over time feature.

They offered me 10,000 MR points to add it, which I did. I believe I had the card for over a year at the time though.

I'm hoping I get so lucky once my one year anniversary comes around in July 2017. (Fingers crossed). I don't need to use it but would love to get the MR points.

Message 22 of 28
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Delta $1K | Aviator Red $2.5K | Best Buy $3K | Amazon $4K | Chase $5K | BBVA $5K | UFCU $7.5K | NFCU $15K

AMEX doesn't trust you yet or your income is pretty low. Give them time, AMEX can be picky about things and PoT is controlled by underwriting department and not new cards department, these two departments have different goals in the corporation.

underwriting department is there to protect AMEX from loss, where the new cards department wants to get as many cards with the highest limit possible in to as many customers as they can and to make those customers happy.  After a month of the card in the user hands, the card is passed off to the underwriting department where they get to make discussions on what happens to the card, and since you recieved a 1k limit card its pretty much a sign that yes the new cards group deciced  to give you a chance, but your internal score is pretty low, so the underwriting department tollerates you, which is why you probably don't have the PoT option yet. 

At this point, use your cards, pay your bills on time, don't max out your cards or let them report them that way. Don't let any other cards get maxed out or any other baddies on your report. 

I got on AMEX bad list for a while, but after about 5 years now I have the option to get PoT, on  the Zync card that is discontinued but AMEX still allows me to use, Which is possibly onr of the reason it took this long. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

On average, how much would a person have to spend monthly to qualify for the P.O.T. option?

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On average, how much would a person have to spend monthly to qualify for the P.O.T. option?

I am not sure there is any set amounts.... I was offered POT at activation.

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was offered mine shortly after activation, minimal spend!

Message 26 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It could be more a question of creditworthiness, rather than spend.

I wonder how many customers use a charge card, have good enough credit for Amex to offer POT, and yet can't get a better APR or BT offer elsewhere...

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have show spend pattern on it first. No late payments, etc.

That's not always the case. I was approved for an Amex Platinum and got PoT enrolled and approved immediately, for a $35k limit.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.