Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PayPal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PayPal

Does Amex upon using their card on PayPal to purchase items from sellers on eBay?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex PayPal

@Anonymous wrote:
Does Amex upon using their card on PayPal to purchase items from sellers on eBay?

Did you mean frown upon?

Message 2 of 8
quickstrike
Valued Member

I don't see any reason why Amex would oppose you using their card with Paypal especially when it's just a normal purchase.  I'm sure people use Amex with Paypal all the time.  Just curious what gave you that thought?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should be fine.

Where people get into trouble regarding PayPal and Amex is when it looks like you are trying to pay yourself, a family member, or otherwise take a cash advance.

Message 4 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@quickstrike wrote:

I don't see any reason why Amex would oppose you using their card with Paypal especially when it's just a normal purchase.  I'm sure people use Amex with Paypal all the time.  Just curious what gave you that thought?

If they suspect that it's possibly being used to facilitate awards abuse (simple example: using PP to send money to your SO) they'll shut down the card.    

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 8
zerofire
Valued Contributor

AmEx is very sensitive to award abuse. Paypal as a result is extremely suspect when there is no regular transaction but a payment to someone. Generally Paypal will work with AmEx to keep abuse down behind the scenes but there have been cases where people got too close to the edge where they were paying family and relatives and keeping the rewards. In the end AmEx caught on since they run both the card and the network and wanted an explanation. As long as you do not abuse it you will be fine. AmEx sees everything though.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 8
drboxing
Established Contributor

I read on these forums (forget where) but someone used their Amex card on PayPal to purchase furniture from a relative, Amex canceled their card. I personally don’t use Amex on PayPal at all

Message 7 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I've used Amex cards for tens (I'm afraid to look, but it may actually be hundreds) of thousands of dollars of eBay transactions with PayPal over the past 17 years with zero issues.  As others have stated, if you are trying to circumvent cash advance procedures or doing fraud abuse, if caught you will very likely have your Amex accounts closed.

Don't send someone you know cash.  Don't use the card for any merchant that could be linked to you or a relative.  But the original question of using it for eBay purchases?  Absolutely fine!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.