Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Payment Mistake

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Payment Mistake

How long does Amex take to ach the payment I make through their system? Do they pull the payment the next day?

I accidentally made the payment yesterday out of an account that will have the funds to pay them on hold until tomorrow. The bank is unsure if the payment will go through or not while the funds are on hold. I have talk with different csr a few times but all were unsure. I made the payment yesterday so unfortunately cannot stop the payment from the amex side.

The payment hasn't processed as of yet through the bank but I was told that they process ACH transactions during the day. 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Payment Mistake

in my experience with amex my payment would post at midnight the day of the payment and the following morning the ach debit to my checking account would occur with 2 different institutions chase and my local cu

amazon
Message 2 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

@kilpela wrote:

How long does Amex take to ach the payment I make through their system? Do they pull the payment the next day?

I accidentally made the payment yesterday out of an account that will have the funds to pay them on hold until tomorrow. The bank is unsure if the payment will go through or not while the funds are on hold. I have talk with different csr a few times but all were unsure. I made the payment yesterday so unfortunately cannot stop the payment from the amex side.

The payment hasn't processed as of yet through the bank but I was told that they process ACH transactions during the day. 

If you submitted a payment yesterday, AMEX will attempt to retrieve the payment today.  Fortunately, they are forgiving.  If you have a good payment history, they will waive the return check fee.  Call them now to let them know in advance.   I had it to happen to me before. 

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the re-assurance. I will give them a call in a few minutes and let them know what happened and that it was an honest mistake. From what I found online, I can see they are pretty forgiving.

Message 4 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

@kilpela wrote:

Thanks for the re-assurance. I will give them a call in a few minutes and let them know what happened and that it was an honest mistake. From what I found online, I can see they are pretty forgiving.

You may want to send them an email via its website.  That way,  you'd have the fee waiver agreement in writing. . 

Message 5 of 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I vote for waiting just in case everything turns up OK. Maybe it won't post right away. Maybe your bank will cover it. Who knows. I'd be afraid of worrying Amex of something that isn't guaranteed to happen. If it did happen, you can always call that day (tomorrow?).

BTW, IME with my Green, I'll pay via Amex and it doesn't matter if I pay first thing in the morning or 11pm at night, it never comes out of my checking account the next day. It's always the following day (48 hrs later).  Certainly YMMV based on your bank.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I called and talked with a real nice lady who was understanding and assured me that any fees would be waived. She also let me know if the first attempt fails, they will attempt again and there would be no issue with that.

Before I could ask her to send me a message to that effect, the call dropped. (I wasn't home so was on my cell phone. AT&T grrrr.) Anyways if there is any issues she said they would give me a call and let me know what was going on.

Message 7 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

Great that you contacted them some way or another.  Had you not called, you probably wouldn't have known they'd make a second attempt to retrieve the funds.  You're not bothering the CSRs when calling. They're there to help.  When I was a CSR, I was glad to get numerous calls back to back.  It made time go by hastily.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks DI! It looks like they must take two days like llecs said because there was no attempt for payment today. The bank said if they didn't honor the payment I would have received a NSF to my account.

I really like Amex CSR's. Every time I have called them they have been awesome and very knowledgeable. If they didn't know they answer, they have called around instead of transfering me.

Message 9 of 20
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@kilpela wrote:

Thanks DI! It looks like they must take two days like llecs said because there was no attempt for payment today. The bank said if they didn't honor the payment I would have received a NSF to my account.

I really like Amex CSR's. Every time I have called them they have been awesome and very knowledgeable. If they didn't know they answer, they have called around instead of transfering me.

I think that it must depend upon where you bank and how their systems interface with Amex's. My payments to Amex have always cleared my bank (Wachovia, now Wells Fargo) overnight. When it comes to funds clearing between banks, it's definitely a matter of YMMV. Congrats on having it work out for you, though. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.