Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plan It Experiences

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Plan It Experiences

@Anonymous wrote:

A simple grocery store charge allows me up to 18 months.  Why?  I don't know.  For data points, if anybody has any questions then feel free to ask.

Amexpay.JPG

wow. so they didn't even offer 3 or 6 months.

Message 31 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would think it would be logical to allow larger purchases to be financed over a longer period of time.  That obviously isn't the case here.  Could you imagine still paying off a grocery purchase 1.5 years later?  If you needed to do that then you probably should cut up your cards.  Amex allowing this is fascinating.

Message 32 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A simple grocery store charge allows me up to 18 months.  Why?  I don't know.  For data points, if anybody has any questions then feel free to ask.

Amexpay.JPG

I've got the same offer on a purchase at buy buy baby. it seems though you slightly have a lower fee on your plan.

Go figure?

Plan It.png

Message 33 of 74
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

You would think it would be logical to allow larger purchases to be financed over a longer period of time.  That obviously isn't the case here.  Could you imagine still paying off a grocery purchase 1.5 years later?  If you needed to do that then you probably should cut up your cards.  Amex allowing this is fascinating.

You would think. Need more data, but the info that is coming has been good.

images (3).jpeg

Message 34 of 74
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amexpay.JPG

From my reading of the program, they only put up three time periods in the offer screen. Makes it easier to select financing for groceries if you don't also have to choose..... 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months or 18 months to finance produce. 

I always finance produce for 18 months Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 35 of 74
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

AMEX Plan It Question

For those who used this feature, what was your overall experience--including pros and cons?
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 36 of 74
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Plan It Question

I haven’t actually used it, but I’ve gone through the steps to set up a Plan just to see. Basically you don’t pay interest, but you do pay a small, fixed flat rate fee every month. The purchase has to be $100 or over I believe and your timeframe options will be “based on creditworthiness.” For a $929 purchase, it gave me the option of 3 monthly payments of 300-something or 6 months of 150-something. 

You just have to weigh your options. I think it would be really valuable if you CAN’T pay something off but none of your cards has 0%. That fixed fee is usually a lot more friendly than sky-high interest rates. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 37 of 74
wasCB14
Super Contributor

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-Plan-It-Experiences/td-p/5394718 and a few other threads have discussed this.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 38 of 74
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Thanks pinkandgrey! I always wondered if using the Plan It feature would result in AA similar to what some folks experience after they do balance transfers with various lenders.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 39 of 74
NRB525
Super Contributor

I have used Plan It at least twice. You always get exactly three options of timeframe, depending on the size of the item you want to plan.

I have done a few thousand on each, and once you sign up, my understanding is you are tied in to that fee, even if paid early, but only for that fee.

If you have the proper autopay, AMEX uses your Plan It payment amount for the month, plus payment of new non-Plan It charges in one payment. Very simple.

Keeping the Plan It apart from the new charges mean you do not get hit with interest on the new charges.

I think it is a game-changer, a very nice innovation by AMEX.

I suggest picking some small item just over $100 to try it, because the mechanics of how it shows up on your statement is quite unique. Hard to describe.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 40 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.