Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plan it Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Plan it Question

I have a rather large expense i want to put on one of my promo interest free cards. If I use the plan it feature does anyone know if it would post the adjusted balance to the credit bureaus or the total amount financed. I know its still 0% anyway, and if i "plan it" while on the promo time there are no fees but im tring to save a hit on reported utilization. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Plan it Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a rather large expense i want to put on one of my promo interest free cards. If I use the plan it feature does anyone know if it would post the adjusted balance to the credit bureaus or the total amount financed. I know its still 0% anyway, and if i "plan it" while on the promo time there are no fees but im tring to save a hit on reported utilization. 

I'm no expert, but it's still a purchase you used against your available credit limit = "UTI".

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 2 of 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Would be total charge as plan-it is just an agreement with AMEX to pay X amt over a given time.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s what I thought. Thanks. It looks like my wife already tried and used the plan it feature. Her statement cut today and it just has an adjusted balance so far. While I know it counts towards available credit, if it does only report the “adjusted” balance maybe it won’t impact total utilization. I’ll keep u guys posted. It hasn’t shown up on her credit report yet.
Message 4 of 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'd expect it to report the full balance on the card at statement time. The adjusted statement balance is what you'd need to pay to avoid interest. Of course, you're at 0%, so interest is a non-factor for now.

Message 5 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

I just ran a Plan It, and AMEX splits the amounts into two categories on your statement. While the “adjusted amount” excludes the Plan It amount, the sum of those two categories is what is sent to the bureaus.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used the Plan It feature recently and can also confirm that the total financed amount will be reported to the bureaus, not the adjusted balance.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.