Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plat Purchase Prot. Lost item

tag
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Amex Plat Purchase Prot. Lost item

Hello everyone, I have a situation at hand. About 2 weeks ago I purchased a Garmin Fénix 3 watch at retail price. Just yesterday I was out on a boat in the middle of the ocean and I was doing a few things on the boat and the watch came lose and fell deep to the ocean floor. I purchased it using my Amex plat and I still have all the receipts. My concern is, how delicate is Amex with these insurance claims? Should I be worried about any direct repercussions? I understand it's part of my benefits but is it frowned upon in their eyes? What should I expect? I would really like your opinions. Thanks everyone!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Plat Purchase Prot. Lost item

@Jaylima91 wrote:
Hello everyone, I have a situation at hand. About 2 weeks ago I purchased a Garmin Fénix 3 watch at retail price. Just yesterday I was out on a boat in the middle of the ocean and I was doing a few things on the boat and the watch came lose and fell deep to the ocean floor. I purchased it using my Amex plat and I still have all the receipts. My concern is, how delicate is Amex with these insurance claims? Should I be worried about any direct repercussions? I understand it's part of my benefits but is it frowned upon in their eyes? What should I expect? I would really like your opinions. Thanks everyone!

You seem to be expecting an uphill battle, when you're in for a pretty chill experience. 

My partner lost his iPhone 7 on Lake Tahoe in September. - had only had it a week or so. He used the purchase protection to replace it with no problem. 

Message 2 of 7
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

I've never used this insurance and I know how insurance (in general) works. How quickly was Amex able to assist your friend with his incident?
Message 3 of 7
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I don't think you will have any issues. It's not like it is very expensive. I think you will be fine as long as you have what they need to replace it. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 4 of 7
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Agree ... left my iPad on a plane ... was reimbursed with no hassle

Message 5 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

This benefit is limited to 90 days from purchase, right? Or have people been able to use the benefit after 90 days?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't foresee an issue as long as you're within the guidelines.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.