Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Plat no SUB

tag
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Amex Plat no SUB

Don't think its worth it.  My spend is migrating back to Amex, as CSR can easily be positive without much spend.  There are other factors too that have nothing to do with Chase.  I may be able to get SUB in a few months with higher spend.  Also I'm planning a significant amount, for me, in the coming years.

If you'd take Plat without a SUB convince me please.  I have Gold, EDP, and BBP for MR cards

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Plat no SUB

Personally, I wouldn't.  Unless you have significant, dedicated spend on the card that would offset the SUB year-to-year.   But, that's just me.

Message 2 of 9
Caught750
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't.  Unless you have significant, dedicated spend on the card that would offset the SUB year-to-year.   But, that's just me.

I was thinking the same.  I could likely get PEV but its a nice SUB.  I can certainly wait it out and see if the evil pop up goes away.  Its not too hard to find a 75k SUB.

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 3 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Unless you're in an airport lounge once a week, and couldn't access it some other way or with some other card, wait.

I know your EDP, like mine, is from a re-upgrade. Any thought on which of EDP or Gold you'll keep?

I'm going to eventually re-downgrade EDP (but I'm still locked in for a while to keep my upgrade bonus) and PC my new regular Platinum to Gold, leaving Schwab as it is.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The only Platinum card I'd consider getting without a bonus attached to it is the Schwab version. That's only if you have a glut of points, have no plans to spend them anytime soon, and want the cash relatively soon with their point redemptions at 1.25 cpp. Otherwise I'd wait it out til the popup goes bye bye

Message 5 of 9
Caught750
Valued Contributor

If I were to downgrade it would be EDP. I'd get more combined value from Plat and Gold.  

BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 6 of 9
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@Caught750 wrote:

Don't think its worth it.  My spend is migrating back to Amex, as CSR can easily be positive without much spend.  There are other factors too that have nothing to do with Chase.  I may be able to get SUB in a few months with higher spend.  Also I'm planning a significant amount, for me, in the coming years.

If you'd take Plat without a SUB convince me please.  I have Gold, EDP, and BBP for MR cards

No convincing from me here; I don't care about lounges very much, and I'd rather have Green 3x all travel (including carshare/rideshare, transit, parking, tolls, trains) than Platinum 5x airfare/hotel portal as a companion to Gold.

I was willing to see if I could get Platinum with a SUB because 10x for 6 months in important categories + 6 months to nail the SUB is pretty dynamite, but when I got the "you had this card" for a card that AMEX closed on me in 2009 as part of a Chapter 13 I filed a few years later... Uh, whatever, OK, thanks, no sale. The only one I might go for is the Morgan Stanley one, that you can get for free with the right account combinations (I might have an in thanks to their E*Trade acquisition).

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 7 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Without knowing which perks you would be using, what value you would place on them, which credits you would be using organically anyway (airline, Sak's, Uber), and which Amex Offers you might be using to receive further credits, there's really no way to answer this for you unless you are buying at least $10,000 in airfare annually, in which case the answer is very likely yes due to the elevated earnings over Gold.

I've done product changes without a SUB because I gained immediate benefit from doing so, so there are certainly cases where a card makes sense whether you are eligible for a SUB or not.

Message 8 of 9
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I'd benefit from the hotel statuses, would fly out of EWR, or JFK/LGA depending on the destination.  Mostly Delta with some United so lounge access would be used.  I'd also use the air credits and some uber.

BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.