Did you mean: 

Amex Plat vs PRG?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Plat vs PRG?

wrote:

wrote:

?? You don't have a single Marriott or Ritz Carlton hotel near you? 

You don't fly with one of their 30+ airline partners? You don't use Amtrak? 

I have a marriot across the street, but if i'm going to staycation, i'll do it at home Smiley LOL

I used to fly twice a year, but in the last 10 years i've been on a plane once.  Now once i have a travel credit to use, i might fly more.  I am not sure of the conversion rate yet, but i could always convert my MR's into delta and add into my 36-37k something i have there as well. 

MRs convert 1:1 to Delta unless there is a (rare, and not necessarily returning) promotion for extra Delta miles.

For the first year, any bonus tends to outweigh the first-year AF on Platinum (or, for Ameriprise Platinum, both are 0). After that, keep in mind you pay for the flight extras credit in the form of an AF. If you lack the money to travel and would rely on a "travel credit" (an overly general term for the credit) to fly, you don't really have the money to pay a $550 AF, either.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

MRs convert 1:1 to Delta unless there is a (rare, and not necessarily returning) promotion for extra Delta miles.

For the first year, any bonus tends to outweigh the first-year AF on Platinum (or, for Ameriprise Platinum, both are 0). After that, keep in mind you pay for the flight extras credit in the form of an AF. If you lack the money to travel and would rely on a "travel credit" (an overly general term for the credit) to fly, you don't really have the money to pay a $550 AF, either.

Thanks for the MR info.       I wouldnt be relying on it, but having it might get me the added incentive to consider flying more.  I actually travel alot and its mostly been by driving, so with that added benefit plus the travel time decrease by flying, it might go by air more often. 

One of the first things i did when i started my rebuild was to figure out what i could honestly spend and pay off so i didnt end up in a worse situation than what i started with.    I honestly would be very very close on the line of that AF being to much for the benefits of the card, so its the reason i keep debating on it as a want vs a need. 

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

?? You don't have a single Marriott or Ritz Carlton hotel near you? 

You don't fly with one of their 30+ airline partners? You don't use Amtrak? 

I have a marriot across the street, but if i'm going to staycation, i'll do it at home Smiley LOL

I used to fly twice a year, but in the last 10 years i've been on a plane once.  Now once i have a travel credit to use, i might fly more.  I am not sure of the conversion rate yet, but i could always convert my MR's into delta and add into my 36-37k something i have there as well. 

SPG and Delta have a relationship program, you may want to check it out. 

If you transfer 20,000 SPG points to Delta, you'll get a 5,000 point bonus. 

So if you do two 20,000 points transfers to Delta, you'll have 50,000 miles even though you only transferred 40,000. 

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

Probably a lot.  After all, if most consumers really made a point to use the benefits, it likely wouldn't be very profitable for AMEX.  

Some just use some of the perks that they want to use. For instance some people don't find value in the incidentals and Uber which some would argue "offset" the AF but if they don't use it why bother. But they may find the hotel status matches and lounge access in much higher value than others and use those for maximum usage. All up to the holder to see what perks work for them and seeing if the AF works out.

Of course.  I wasn't really trying to judge anyone, just commenting on the likelihood that most Platinum cardholders don't use the benefits fully in an effort to truly offset the AF.  Most people don't manage their rewards cards like the community here.  Similar math involved with mail-in rebates.  The promise of savings, if you jump through hoops, knowing that a certain percentage will never follow through.

Message 24 of 29
drboxing
Established Contributor

I had the AMEX Gold PRG but upgraded to the Amex platinum. The Amex Platinum works for me because of the travel perks. If you travel often the perks make up for the annual fee.

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
I had the AMEX Gold PRG but upgraded to the Amex platinum. The Amex Platinum works for me because of the travel perks. If you travel often the perks make up for the annual fee.

That is one of the reasons i wasnt as sure on the Platinum, is that while i do travel some, it's not by air.  Now once i have more travel perks and airline credits and possible need for an uber/rental car status.. whats to say i wouldnt use it more. I have a feeling after the first year, i like one of the previous posters mentioned wouldnt be gaining as much from the card after the first year, but i just really want one.  Maybe i can find a way to make it work for me. 

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

the PRG is that ugly gold color

Well, there you go! Smiley Very Happy

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

the PRG is that ugly gold color

Well, there you go! Smiley Very Happy

LOL...   so is my delta but i still got that one 

Message 28 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

That is one of the reasons i wasnt as sure on the Platinum, is that while i do travel some, it's not by air.  Now once i have more travel perks and airline credits and possible need for an uber/rental car status.. whats to say i wouldnt use it more. I have a feeling after the first year, i like one of the previous posters mentioned wouldnt be gaining as much from the card after the first year, but i just really want one.  Maybe i can find a way to make it work for me. 

How many hotel stays do you have per year at Marriott/Ritz/Starwood and Hilton?

What would be your home airport if you flew more? Is it dominated by one or two particular airlines?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.