Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum $500,000+ in spending.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum $500,000+ in spending.

Should I continue to use the Amex platinum? This past year I managed o rack up 500k+ in spending. This year I'm projected to spend around 900k. We spend in airfare around 243k so now with the 5x I should see close to 1.5M points by the end of the year. My question is, I just finished an app spree with 44k in new credit lines. Should I continue to use the Amex or should I look to another card ?
18 Inq
TransUnion 680
Equifax 650
Experian 667
42 REPLIES 42
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum $500,000+ in spending.

@Anonymous wrote:
Should I continue to use the Amex platinum? This past year I managed o rack up 500k+ in spending. This year I'm projected to spend around 900k. We spend in airfare around 243k so now with the 5x I should see close to 1.5M points by the end of the year. My question is, I just finished an app spree with 44k in new credit lines. Should I continue to use the Amex or should I look to another card ?
18 Inq
TransUnion 680
Equifax 650
Experian 667

Is there a card with better rewards for airfare than Platinum...?

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't think so. The valuation for points seems a little low compared to other cards like the csp
Message 3 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think 5 MR are still more valuable than the 3 UR per dollar you'd get with CSR.

Obviously it depends on which transfer partners you use, but it sounds like Amex is the one for you.

Message 4 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call and say what you said to us. Request an invitation to upgrade to Centurion (Black) card

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/10/amex-centurion-black-card/

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/5-reasons-i-got-the-amex-centurion-card/

Message 5 of 43
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would call and say what you said to us. Request an invitation to Centurion (Black) card

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/10/amex-centurion-black-card/

Centurion will definitely give the flexibility given the huge spend amount. However, if he/she likes the rewards from the spend... I dont think Centurion card offers 5X on airfare, does it?

@Anonymous wrote:

I think 5 MR are still more valuable than the 3 UR per dollar you'd get with CSR.

Obviously it depends on which transfer partners you use, but it sounds like Amex is the one for you.

Yeah it's up to you to value MR vs UR points - dont trust bloggers. 

Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the Centurion so you can look like a baller! Haha jk!

Can you divide your spending across multiple cards or does it have to be only one?
Message 7 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just don't feel like paying 10k to get the centurion.
Message 8 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just easier that way to just use one card. Amex does a great deal to help me track my spending and the consierge is amazing.
Message 9 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

updated link to 2016

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.