cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum $500,000+ in spending.

tag
rlx01
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum $500,000+ in spending.

@redpal: not really. It's relatively easy to get a 50k CL on an Amex credit card. OP hasn't given any real info besides $, though.

Is this business spend? Is it personal? How much is on bonus categories covered by the BRG/PRG? Etc.
Message 21 of 43
sjt
Senior Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Should I continue to use the Amex platinum? This past year I managed o rack up 500k+ in spending. This year I'm projected to spend around 900k. We spend in airfare around 243k so now with the 5x I should see close to 1.5M points by the end of the year. My question is, I just finished an app spree with 44k in new credit lines. Should I continue to use the Amex or should I look to another card ?
18 Inq
TransUnion 680
Equifax 650
Experian 667

Is there a card with better rewards for airfare than Platinum...?

The Platinum Card for Air Travel is your best option.

Have you been offered the Centurion Card?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 22 of 43
redpat
Senior Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:
@redpal: not really. It's relatively easy to get a 50k CL on an Amex credit card. OP hasn't given any real info besides $, though.

Is this business spend? Is it personal? How much is on bonus categories covered by the BRG/PRG? Etc.

Good point, but if I'm spending 75k a month I wouldn't want to always look over my shoulder to see what's available before making a purchase.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 23 of 43
rlx01
Established Contributor

True, but presumably OP could ask for more with docs.

I agree that Amex charge cards occupy a special niche, but if we're trying to optimize rewards then the Plat (or Cent) provides poor value unless used for airfares.

The BRG will allow you to charge just as much as a BizPlat, for example. The card color means nothing for spending ability.
Message 24 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great point made about the limits! I've never seen/heard anyone having a revolver with a $75K limit and like stated before, I'd hate to always have to look over my shoulder and worry if my purchase will go through..
Message 25 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

We're in roughly the same position. I spend about $200-250k a month on credit cards (all business), and run about $50k through AMEX. Besides airfare, what else are you buying? Because AMEX purchase protection is very good. If I'm buying anything online, or something that is electronic I always run it through AMEX, no matter what. But I think MR points are nearly worthless. The last time I redeemed any, was well over a year ago, and I have several million stored up. I use the Fine Hotel and Resorts frequently, but it seems like that has gone down hill too, as several hotels I stay at frequently are no longer part of the program. I had the Centurion card at one point, and wouldn't waste the money to upgrade again. As others have mentioned, the NoPSL and the fact that business cards don't show up on your credit report is really nice. 

If I were you, I'd work on improving your score a bit, and get a CapitalOne Venture card with 2x, and move some of your spend to there. 

Message 26 of 43
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We're in roughly the same position. I spend about $200-250k a month on credit cards (all business), and run about $50k through AMEX. Besides airfare, what else are you buying? Because AMEX purchase protection is very good. If I'm buying anything online, or something that is electronic I always run it through AMEX, no matter what. But I think MR points are nearly worthless. The last time I redeemed any, was well over a year ago, and I have several million stored up. I use the Fine Hotel and Resorts frequently, but it seems like that has gone down hill too, as several hotels I stay at frequently are no longer part of the program. I had the Centurion card at one point, and wouldn't waste the money to upgrade again. As others have mentioned, the NoPSL and the fact that business cards don't show up on your credit report is really nice. 

If I were you, I'd work on improving your score a bit, and get a CapitalOne Venture card with 2x, and move some of your spend to there. 

Which Biz card(s) do you use the most?
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 27 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a lot better cards than the Venture.  It's only upside is the sign up bonus.  After that it's a 2% cashback card with limited redemption.  OP can do far better than that card.  It certainly isnt a travel card or even close to one.

Message 28 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen many AMEX revolvers with several hundred-thousand dollar limits hence my suggesting the EDP.. he'd of course have to be willing to provide supporting documentation upon request though in order to get that kind of limit.

Message 29 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've seen many AMEX revolvers with several hundred-thousand dollar limits hence my suggesting the EDP.. he'd of course have to be willing to provide supporting documentation upon request though in order to get that kind of limit.

HUNDREDS of thousands in limits?! Holy heck!

Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.