cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum $500,000+ in spending.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum $500,000+ in spending.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are a lot better cards than the Venture.  It's only upside is the sign up bonus.  After that it's a 2% cashback card with limited redemption.  OP can do far better than that card.  It certainly isnt a travel card or even close to one.

For travel, the venture card points are really nice. There are other personal cards that I use that have good redemption (Citi DC, Fidelity) on cash back. I now have over $400k in limits though, and it's far too much work to chase cards with bonus categories. What cards do you think are better, excluding AMEX Plat, without chasing bonus categories?

I do use a lot of personal cards for my own business charges - dedicated cards. I'll charge all the way up to the card limit, and day before statement  cut I pay the balance in full - never revolving a balance. The one exception is Fidelity - I learned my lesson.

There are tons of better cards for travel than the Venture.  The only reason that people consider the Venture a travel card is because Capital One has marketed it as such.  Besides the aforementioned Platinum, cards that are much better for travel would be the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Citi Prestige. With each of those cards you earn 3X for travel and those points are easily worth two cents each and if used intelligently can be worth far more.  Not only the points you earn but the various travel benefits that come with the cards make them true travel cards.

This doesn't even take into account the various airline or hotel specific cards that can be used for charges for their specific hotel/airline.  The only time that the Venture should be used for travel is for the bonus spend.  Then you redeem the $400 and the card should never ever be used again for travel.  No offense but you're really costing yourself money if you use it at all for travel and if you look at travel sites the Venture would be laughed at if you call it a travel card.  This is the exact same for the Arrival+.  

I cant tell you how to spend your money or use credit cards but I just hate to see people cost themselves money by using the Venture.  Far too many people here have fallen into CapOne's 'lie' about the card.

Message 41 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are a lot better cards than the Venture.  It's only upside is the sign up bonus.  After that it's a 2% cashback card with limited redemption.  OP can do far better than that card.  It certainly isnt a travel card or even close to one.

For travel, the venture card points are really nice. There are other personal cards that I use that have good redemption (Citi DC, Fidelity) on cash back. I now have over $400k in limits though, and it's far too much work to chase cards with bonus categories. What cards do you think are better, excluding AMEX Plat, without chasing bonus categories?

I do use a lot of personal cards for my own business charges - dedicated cards. I'll charge all the way up to the card limit, and day before statement  cut I pay the balance in full - never revolving a balance. The one exception is Fidelity - I learned my lesson.

There are tons of better cards for travel than the Venture.  The only reason that people consider the Venture a travel card is because Capital One has marketed it as such.  Besides the aforementioned Platinum, cards that are much better for travel would be the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Citi Prestige. With each of those cards you earn 3X for travel and those points are easily worth two cents each and if used intelligently can be worth far more.  Not only the points you earn but the various travel benefits that come with the cards make them true travel cards.

This doesn't even take into account the various airline or hotel specific cards that can be used for charges for their specific hotel/airline.  The only time that the Venture should be used for travel is for the bonus spend.  Then you redeem the $400 and the card should never ever be used again for travel.  No offense but you're really costing yourself money if you use it at all for travel and if you look at travel sites the Venture would be laughed at if you call it a travel card.  This is the exact same for the Arrival+.  

I cant tell you how to spend your money or use credit cards but I just hate to see people cost themselves money by using the Venture.  Far too many people here have fallen into CapOne's 'lie' about the card.

Yes, and even the cashback cards you mention, Citi DC and Fidelity, are in many ways better than the Venture: no AF and no restriction on redemptions to get 2%

Message 42 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Venture and it's great as a 2x on travel card! ...that is until you realize the annual fee is not worth the value of the card Smiley Indifferent

I got my $400 bonus out of it (thanks Marriott and Delta!) and it will be turned into a QS Sig Visa probably within the next few months... or within the next hour if C1 chat open today  🤔 I will not let that AF hit me. Too much spend required to stay above level on the card for something that is only travel. 

Many good cards have been listed in this thread (CSR, Plat, etc.) but going with the Venture is not the way! IMO that is! Good luck with whatever your choice is though (I still think you should get the Biz Plat lol)

Message 43 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.