Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Card internal limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum Card internal limit?

The card has no known limit, but it does have an internal limit which is based on user's highest balance X3 in the past 6 months. At least that’s how I understand it from the internet.

However, say this month I spend $5000, just before the closing day I pay it all off down to 1$. And then for the next 5 months I spend $4000 per month and I pay it all down to $0 just before the closing date.

Will my internal limit be $15000 or $3?

Basically what I’m asking is will the actual total spend determine the limit, or the ending balance?

Thank you guys!

8 REPLIES 8
SBR249
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Card internal limit?

I think it's far more likely that it's based on the amount of spend you are putting through the card than your balance on a particular day of the billing cycle (in this case, the last day). AmEx obviously has this data, I don't see why they wouldn't use it in their own algorithms. 

Message 2 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The internal limits are far more complex than that!  I've maybe spent about $3,000 [Edit: $5400; I just looked and forgot about an airfare purchase] combined on my Platinum card over the past 6 months, but I wouldn't for a second think my card would be declined if I went and made a $50,000 purchase on it right now.  The amount they'll extend is going to depend on your credit score as one factor to determine your risk, but more importantly income, assets, and your historical relationship with Amex.  I would just suggest using the Check Spending Ability button prior to an unusually large purchase (but don't play around with it unless you're really planning to make a purchase) if you think there's a possibility they may not cover it.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your info is wrong period 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

To whom is this reply directed? Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To whom is this reply directed? Smiley Happy

Probably me

Message 6 of 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

My highest reported balance on Amex has been maybe $500 but yet I can spend
7-9K in a single purchase. Never tried for anything higher as purchases at that amount are normally work expenses. They normally pay my rent upfront for the entire stay.

But like K stated it’s far more complex then just 3X your balance. Your most likely confusing it with the 3X CLI for Amex revolvers

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 7 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
My highest reported balance on Amex has been maybe $500 but yet I can spend
7-9K in a single purchase. Never tried for anything higher as purchases at that amount are normally work expenses. They normally pay my rent upfront for the entire stay.

But like K stated it’s far more complex then just 3X your balance. Your most likely confusing it with the 3X CLI for Amex revolvers

No, I've seen the "3X highest balance in the last 6 months" theory discussed on FT when a Centurion member was unable to spend further and asked to make an early payment.

Not saying the theory is necessarily true...just that the claim has previously circulated and OP isn't confused.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

+1 I've seen it stated before in the past, particularly with trying to figure out internal limits on new accounts.  Like I said, the actual determination is far more complicated, though.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.