Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Card x 2

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum Card x 2

My wife got approved for Amex Platinum early this year. I was added as AU.  I got approved for my own Amex Platinum and wondering if I should drop the AU on her account now?  Wife balance is reporting as “0” and wondering if keeping her Amex will help my credit score? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Card x 2

Considering the relatively young age of the AU card which depending on your stats - particularly your AAoA - the only way I see you gaining any points to your score is removing yourself as an authorized user and also asking AMEX to remove the account from your credit reports. You might have to follow through with the bureaus as well for it to be clear from all 3 CBAs if you do this.

At the very least you should remove yourself from her account to save the annual $175 it costs just to have you on her account. No need to pay an unnecessary fee when you're already paying for two AMEX Plat cards at the moment.

Message 2 of 3
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Platinum Card x 2

@simplynoir wrote:

Considering the relatively young age of the AU card which depending on your stats - particularly your AAoA - the only way I see you gaining any points to your score is removing yourself as an authorized user and also asking AMEX to remove the account from your credit reports. You might have to follow through with the bureaus as well for it to be clear from all 3 CBAs if you do this.

At the very least you should remove yourself from her account to save the annual $175 it costs just to have you on her account. No need to pay an unnecessary fee when you're already paying for two AMEX Plat cards at the moment.

+1 I would remove yourself as an AU as soon as possible; they may even give her a prorated refund on the AU fee.  Because charge cards are not factored into revolving utilization for credit scoring purposes and the account is new, it's extremely unlikely that keeping the card would help you in any way.  Going forward, however, I would do the math on whether it truly makes sense for each of you to have your own Platinum card, rather than one of you being an AU on the other's card.  As the annual fee is $550 and AUs get all of the benefits that a primary user gets (with shared credits), you would need to use at least $375 of the annual credits to break even.  With the $200 airline credit, $200 Uber credit, and $100 Sak's credit, this is of course quite easy to accomplish.  But if you're not taking advantage of those, I'd consider dropping one of the cards down the road.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.