Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum. Just too much money

tag
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Amex Platinum. Just too much money

Title says it all. Amex did their best today to try and sell the Plat to me on the phone. I considered all the options and no matter how many times I slice and dice it I simply cannot justify the AF. I already have the Biz Gold which works well for me. Dont get me wrong I think the Plat is a great card if you can justify the cost but have to wonder how many people out there just have it for the flashy looks and cannot really justify the cost. Just my 2 cents.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money

I'm sure plenty people can justify it, just not you and me. Lol
Message 2 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 25
vic6string
Regular Contributor

I haven't set foot on a plane in about 3 years, and have only spent about 4 days total in hotels in that time. For someone like me, it makes no sense at all. I'm a "cash back" card guy. My brother, on the other hand, had a 15 year stretch at work where he basically spent more time in the air than on the ground, travelling about 10 months a year for work. They let him use his personal card for all the trips, hotels, restaurant per-diems, etc, and reimbursed him. For someone like that it doesn't make sense to NOT have the Amex platinum. I can't begin to list all the places he and his family have been to around the world on vacation, and his reward points covered just about all of it.

@hawkins wrote:

Title says it all. Amex did their best today to try and sell the Plat to me on the phone. I considered all the options and no matter how many times I slice and dice it I simply cannot justify the AF. I already have the Biz Gold which works well for me. Dont get me wrong I think the Plat is a great card if you can justify the cost but have to wonder how many people out there just have it for the flashy looks and cannot really justify the cost. Just my 2 cents.

Message 4 of 25
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

A coworker is leaving for a job at another company, and a group of us met for a happy hour last night to celebrate that. One of my buddies paid for his drinks with a business Amex platinum card for his personal sideline business that had nothing to do with the event. I scratched my head at that one.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same with the Gold card.

Message 6 of 25
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Gold Card is half the annual fee, and its reward structure isn't as heavily geared toward travel. I think the Gold Card makes sense for a larger percentage of the population although still probably not a majority.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 7 of 25
Stralem
Established Contributor

As with all cards, it just works better for some than others.

I take it you're not part of the jetsetter crowd? If not, dropping the Plat makes total sense.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 8 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@hawkins wrote:

Dont get me wrong I think the Plat is a great card if you can justify the cost but have to wonder how many people out there just have it for the flashy looks and cannot really justify the cost. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe some, but IMO the AF is probably just high enough to deter some of that  (i.e. people may pay $100 for flash but not $550!)  I would also think there is a group who "should" get the Plat but don't, because they don't understand all the benefits and are put off by the fee.

Message 9 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@hawkins wrote:

Dont get me wrong I think the Plat is a great card if you can justify the cost but have to wonder how many people out there just have it for the flashy looks and cannot really justify the cost. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe some, but IMO the AF is probably just high enough to deter some of that  (i.e. people may pay $100 for flash but not $550!)  I would also think there is a group who "should" get the Plat but don't, because they don't understand all the benefits and are put off by the fee.

And a group that avoids AF cards altogether, regardless of value! Several on MF, actually.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.