Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum. Just too much money

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money

In terms of benefits it just about covers the annual fee for me. 

I got the Gold card when the first year was free. When the year's up, I'll cancel it. I can't justify the $250 annual fee when my TD Cash gives me 3% on restaurants.

Message 21 of 25
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@KJinNC wrote:

A coworker is leaving for a job at another company, and a group of us met for a happy hour last night to celebrate that. One of my buddies paid for his drinks with a business Amex platinum card for his personal sideline business that had nothing to do with the event. I scratched my head at that one.

I think he is taking that event as a business one.......  = 50% deduction.

While that is possible, it would be ... trying to think of a nice way to say it ... an inaccurate way of recording the expense.

His side business (which is what the card is for) has nothing to do with anyone who was present (he is a music promoter for independent artists - this gathering was a bunch of corporate employees at a technology and consulting Fortune 50 company).

Many of us have corporate Amex green cards from the Fortune 50, which we did not use because it wasn't an official company activity, it was friends having beer and saying goodbye.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 22 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Happy hour

It could be he's a tax cheat, hoping the IRS won't investigate it too closely.

Or maybe he is meeting minimum/retention spend on the card, and will note it as a personal expense.

Or maybe he prefers Amex if a card with better rewards has an overzealous fraud department. A declined charge can be inconvenient and mean a delay in a busy bar.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like Amex shut down the Airline Gift Card with the Annual $200 airline credit. That would make it pretty hard for me to justify it. I have been getting the Amex Platinum Amerprise version the last 2 years which was free for the first year but they cut that out.  I thought about getting the regular Amex Platinum with the 75k sign  up bonus as that would give me $400 in airline gift cards the first year but since they cut it out that doesn't really give me much benefit. 

Centurian Lounges are nice.  But I get that benefit a couple of times a year. I could just go to an airport restaurant for less money. 

Message 24 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looks like Amex shut down the Airline Gift Card with the Annual $200 airline credit. That would make it pretty hard for me to justify it. I have been getting the Amex Platinum Amerprise version the last 2 years which was free for the first year but they cut that out.  I thought about getting the regular Amex Platinum with the 75k sign  up bonus as that would give me $400 in airline gift cards the first year but since they cut it out that doesn't really give me much benefit. 

Centurian Lounges are nice.  But I get that benefit a couple of times a year. I could just go to an airport restaurant for less money. 

I recently got my Platinum after finding a note in a thread about the corporate discount.  The $150 AF credit will work nicely to keep the AF reasonable, and the Uber credits have worked out well. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.