cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum. Just too much money

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
New Member

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money

If you use the benefits you’ll get a lot more out of it than the $550 AF. $200 airline credit, $200 Uber credits, $100 Saks credit alone covers $500 of it. Factor in Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass membership, automatic Gold status at Hilton, Marriott, Hertz and Exec at National...and 5x points on flights and hotels, TSA pre or Global Entry credit, etc and it’s pretty easy to get well in excess of your money’s worth out of the card.
EX 789 - TU 792 - EQ 799
Discover 42,800 / Amex Plat / Amex BCP 27,500 / Amex Everyday Pref 30,000 / Venture 18,000 / CSR 33,500 / CFU 26,000 / AA Aviator Red 37,500 / Citi AA Exec 42,000 / Citi Simp 17,800 / WF Cashwise 25,000 / TD Cash 5000.
Message 11 of 25
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money


@a1canesfan wrote:
If you use the benefits you’ll get a lot more out of it than the $550 AF. $200 airline credit, $200 Uber credits, $100 Saks credit alone covers $500 of it. Factor in Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass membership, automatic Gold status at Hilton, Marriott, Hertz and Exec at National...and 5x points on flights and hotels, TSA pre or Global Entry credit, etc and it’s pretty easy to get well in excess of your money’s worth out of the card.

Exactly! It’s a great card for some.

I do see, however, some get it because it’s a nice looking card with no thought of if it actually will benefit them and if they can recoup the fee. 

AMEX Platinum, Gold, Reserve & SPG | Chase Marriott VS l SGV l PenFed PR VS | NFCU FS VS | Discover IT | Citibank DC WEMC l Capital One Venture VS | Nordstrom VS l Banana Republic LUXE V I Lowes I Macys I Wayfair I Target l
Got some pruning to do....but rebuild is complete. No more new cards!
Message 12 of 25
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money

A lot of people seem to default to 'flashy' whenever a card doesn't work within their single focus of life. I fly every 12 days and stay in hotels half of the year; I can easily see value in the Platinum. Likewise, SimpleSally that lives alone, goes nowhere, and lives in her cash-only mentality probably thinks that someone with the PRG or an even cheaper AF card is just spending money to be 'flashy'. Most credit cards aren't designed to appeal to 'everyone' and those that do tend to have garbage rewards.

Message 13 of 25
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money

Nothing wrong with someone getting a card simply because it's flashy and completely disregarding the benefits.  It's their money and I'm not paying the annual fee so I don't have an opinion one way or the other.  Besides...someone has to pay for the generous subs that we all partake of.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 25
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money


@Loquat wrote:

Nothing wrong with someone getting a card simply because it's flashy and completely disregarding the benefits.  It's their money and I'm not paying the annual fee so I don't have an opinion one way or the other.  Besides...someone has to pay for the generous subs that we all partake of.  Smiley Very Happy


The airfare extras and Uber credits probably wouldn't be $200 each if everyone used every dollar of them. Banks wouldn't offer 0% promos if some people didn't get end up paying interest later.

Most spend: CSR, CFU, BBP
Rewards/AAoA ballast: CF, Discover, Costco, ED, Arrival
Perks: Schwab Platinum, IHG49, Hyatt75, Brilliant, Delta Platinum
Potential closures/downgrades: Savor, BCP, Double Cash
Message 15 of 25
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money

I disagree.

 

Lol, I think I replied to the wrong post in my prior post.  Too many vodka tonics this evening.

Personal Cards: Amex Gold, & Plat | Amex Delta Res | Amex Hilton | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR | Amex Plat
Message 16 of 25
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money

You’d be surprised at how many people have the card because of blogs or flash.
Then they scrap every cent of out each credit and barely break even and think the card is great.

The reality is that not every card is for every person and that’s okay. That’s why there are so many different cards on the market geared towards all different people.

I for one atleast double my annual fee in value without even considering the $500 worth of credits a year.

IAP has saved me almost $1100 this year alone.





Total Revolving Limits $219,300

FICO 8 scores 04/2019
EX-778
TU-714
EQ-716
Message 17 of 25
Moderator

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money


@redpat wrote:

I disagree.

 

Lol, I think I replied to the wrong post in my prior post.  Too many vodka tonics this evening.


Here's another one Smiley Very Happy

vodka tonic.jpeg

Message 18 of 25
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money


@KJinNC wrote:

A coworker is leaving for a job at another company, and a group of us met for a happy hour last night to celebrate that. One of my buddies paid for his drinks with a business Amex platinum card for his personal sideline business that had nothing to do with the event. I scratched my head at that one.


I think he is taking that event as a business one.......  = 50% deduction.

 

Personal Cards: Amex Gold, & Plat | Amex Delta Res | Amex Hilton | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR | Amex Plat
Message 19 of 25
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum. Just too much money


@FinStar wrote:

@redpat wrote:

I disagree.

 

Lol, I think I replied to the wrong post in my prior post.  Too many vodka tonics this evening.


Here's another one Smiley Very Happy

vodka tonic.jpeg


Thanks fin, wow put some tonic in it next time.

Personal Cards: Amex Gold, & Plat | Amex Delta Res | Amex Hilton | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR | Amex Plat
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.