Amex Platinum Offer

tag
arkane
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Offer

@iced wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@morgacj2004 wrote:
A great card if you travel internationally like I do. The lounge access is great. Not a good choice if you rarely travel or only do so domestically.

An overly broad statement, given the number of Centurion and Delta lounges available on domestic itineraries.

I like data, so let's break down how right you are.

There's a total of 8 (eight!!1!!one!!) Centurion lounges in the US, and with terminal separation of airlines and the like, even if someone manages to be in one of those 8 locations, there's no guarantee they're reasonably close to it. There's an additional 8 AmEx lounges (but only 1 Centurion) internationally, and 3 of those 8 are in Mexico. I mean it with all objectivity when I say the Centurion lounge access "benefit" is a joke, and not a haha funny joke but a sad trumpet sound joke.

The good news is there are 50 SkyClubs in the US alone, a much better number, but one thing always gets lost in the conversation with "you get SkyClub access with the Platinum!" talks: the cardholder, and only the cardholder, gets SkyClub access. If one travels with a companion, this benefit becomes lounge access for $29.

As a data point for comparison, the United Club card gives free access for the cardholder and up to 2 guests...to all United Clubs worldwide and all Star Alliance lounges worldwide. There's 55 United Clubs and I gave up counting the Star Alliance lounges after I hit 100. I have only been to two international airports that didn't have a *A lounge: IVL and PPP, and both of those are mini-ports with one gate and one runway.

I'm not saying the Platinum stinks (it doesn't). But don't go singing its greatness on lounge access, because that benefit isn't great at all unless you fit a very specific profile for where you go and who you go with.

Edit: Since I know it's coming as a response to this, let's talk about Priority Pass too. It's solid - more so internationally than domestically - but it's also offered on multiple cards. It's not exclusive to Platinum. This puts one again back at the decision based on their travel profile, which is another way of saying there is no such as thing as a single best travel card for all travelers. Does not exist. No such thing as a great card for all international travelers. Also does not exist. Domestic travelers? Does not exist.

I have a CSR. I have a Platinum. I have a United Club. I'm not picking favorites here or espousing one over the other because of the feels it gives me. I'm pointing out cold hard data from having used all 3 of these cards in various travel settings. I have all three of those because none of those three fits all my needs. Clearly, none of them are great for me, but all of them are.

Great analysis, but allow me throw in a very important caveat: all these "lounge access benefits" mean exactly squat if you value them at $0 i.e. you simply don't care for them at all. Yeah I'm weird I know. Smiley Happy

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 11 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The prior poster said it was not a good choice for domestic-only travelers, and by implication, even frequent domestic ones.

I didn't say the statement was mostly or entirely wrong, just that it was overly broad. Some people do have regular access to Centurions on domestic travel, and some travel solo with regular access to Delta lounges.

I didn't say it works for everyone, and I certainly wasn't "singing its greatness".

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 22
iced
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

The prior poster said it was not a good choice for domestic-only travelers, and by implication, even frequent domestic ones.

I didn't say the statement was mostly or entirely wrong, just that it was overly broad. Some people do have regular access to Centurions on domestic travel, and some travel solo with regular access to Delta lounges.

I didn't say it works for everyone, and I certainly wasn't "singing its greatness".

Apologies if you took it as challenging your statement - I quoted you because I was trying to back you up with data. We're on the same side here. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Got it. I was just a bit puzzled as to how anyone could seemingly get so excited over a one-sentence YMMV-type post. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the responses.  I guess Ill pass on this card for now as I rarely travel.  Thought about getting it just to "Expand My Relationship" with Amex but decided that the AF is just not worth it.  Might have to look into the PRG.  Thanks again.

Message 15 of 22
arkane
Established Contributor

Go to CardMatch and see if you have any offers for the PRG. Amex is really trying to tempt me to leave the garden by throwing me a 50k MR after 1k spend on the PRG. Smiley SadSmiley Mad

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 16 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@arkane wrote:

Go to CardMatch and see if you have any offers for the PRG. Amex is really trying to tempt me to leave the garden by throwing me a 50k MR after 1k spend on the PRG. Smiley SadSmiley Mad

I believe there have been 65k and 75k offers.

Message 17 of 22
arkane
Established Contributor

For the PRG after 1k spend?! Sounds too good to be true tbh.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@morgacj2004 wrote:
A great card if you travel internationally like I do. The lounge access is great. Not a good choice if you rarely travel or only do so domestically.

I would say it depends on the airports you fly out of.  At BWI if you fly domistically  it is worthless. At PHL they have the Centurian Lounge which is very nice.  I think if you home airport is a Delta Hub and you fly Delta it is good to have if your home airport has a Centurian Lounge it is useful.  

Message 19 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@arkane wrote:

For the PRG after 1k spend?! Sounds too good to be true tbh.

I got that offer in 2014 and liked it. It's returned a few times, but for a heavy spender there may be better offers.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.