Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Pay Over Time Question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum Pay Over Time Question?

I wanted to know how does pay over time look on the credit reports? I have a balance of 1231.52 with a minimum payment due of $355.07 Aug 10th. I plan on paying the whole balance of Friday. But when it reports will it show an overall credit limit with a minimum payment? For example, I have $35,000 pay over time limit. Would that show?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Platinum Pay Over Time Question?

CRs will not display any POT CL. POT is an internal (revolving) feature that is not reported out.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's said above. It'll only report your on-time payments. Unless AMEX ever decides to change it up. I think it's best to just keep treating it like a charge card and not use POT.

Message 3 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't know about that. They sent me mine with my Gold card mailer stating it was $3k.

Assigned POT limits will vary for each individual and per product and not all accountholders get them from the get-go.  However, the OP was asking about POT reportability on the CRAs.  POT [internal] CLs do not report.

Message 4 of 14
ironchef
Regular Contributor

As a current member of Amex and a POT on my Rose Gold  and Very familair with the CR Monthly , Your Balance if you leave any toward the POT will appear as a Balance on your CR, and will not show a divided Limit with POT , with a PIF balance. Its all in one and never reports your POT Limit! Because its a NSL Tradeline it will not even apply to your UTL %, but will apply to your over all Balance Owed on your CR for all Tradelines. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ironchef wrote:

As a current member of Amex and a POT on my Rose Gold  and Very familair with the CR Monthly , Your Balance if you leave any toward the POT will appear as a Balance on your CR, and will not show a divided Limit with POT , with a PIF balance. Its all in one and never reports your POT Limit! Because its a NSL Tradeline it will not even apply to your UTL %, but will apply to your over all Balance Owed on your CR for all Tradelines. 

Thanks for the detailed answer. But I don't follow what you are saying. Would you mind giving a specific example/scenario?

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the detailed answer. But I don't follow what you are saying. Would you mind giving a specific example/scenario?

It's very simple, really. Your credit report will show your entire balance as one number. It's still reported exactly the same as a regular charge card and won't factor in your utilization.

If you have 150 in small charges and 1200 in pay over time, they'll report 1350 as your balance. 

Message 7 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@ironchef wrote:

The balance will count toward utilization on the three Experian FICO 98 scores. But that's the same as any charge card balance would do.

Message 8 of 14
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

If I can add something that may only apply to PenFed but I had a balance on my PRG (at the time) card that wasn't anything to do with POT it was just my monthly statement had cut and like always I pay off before the due date. 

When PenFed was really generous and you could call and speak to an UW I was asked why my PRG card as maxed out.  Not really following this guy I asked for details.  He said that  my PRG card was showing maxed out.  I kindly let him know that it was a charge card and didn't have a preset limit.  He then informed me that on his side he just see the balance and his system shows that I'm using all of my available credit on that particular card.  Thus my $2xx balance was showing as maxed out.  

Didn't want to try to explain it to him as he had already informed me he was going to approve the increase I asked for but it was interesting that he sees it from his system different than what I thought was being reported.  I actually thought that there wasn't an utilization reported with charge cards but apparently it does depending on the lender looking at your report.  Nonetheless I got what I wanted but it did make me mindful of how NPSL card *may* appear to lenders.   

Message 9 of 14
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Sounds to me like that guy needed some training.  It's not hard to tell the difference between a charge card and a maxed out revolver.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.