cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Pay Over Time Question?

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Platinum Pay Over Time Question?

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Sounds to me like that guy needed some training.  It's not hard to tell the difference between a charge card and a maxed out revolver.

@MrDisco99 I it was his lack of knowledge but moreso the software that PenFed uses that even presents the information that way.  I've looked at my personal credit report and it never reports in the manner in which he was describing so I'm guessing that again, it was their software that is presenting charge cards in such a negative way.

Message 11 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Loquat, it's very possible that PenFed was looking at your charge card the same way that the aforementioned ancient FICO scores do. In the case of Experian FICO 98, the card's highest balance is used as the card's "limit."

Until a year or two ago when PenFed switched to FICO 9, they were using the ancient 1996 Equifax Beacon model. It's possible that that model addressed charge card utilization the same way as Experian 98. It's also possible that PenFed's internal underwriting policies still address charge card "utilization" that way.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Loquat, it's very possible that PenFed was looking at your charge card the same way that the aforementioned ancient FICO scores do. In the case of Experian FICO 98, the card's highest balance is used as the card's "limit."

Until a year or two ago when PenFed switched to FICO 9, they were using the ancient 1996 Equifax Beacon model. It's possible that that model addressed charge card utilization the same way as Experian 98. It's also possible that PenFed's internal underwriting policies still address charge card "utilization" that way.

So you mean to tell me that I ran a $10K charge through my PRG for no reason? lol

It does seem odd that an UW didn't know how a Charge card works. 

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX does not: 1) report any kind of separation of the POT portion of your account from the non-POT portion; 2) report POT charge cards as having a limit, although you know "internally" that you have a $35K POT limit. Thus, it will not show any kind of utilization %, as with a credit card. However, AMEX will report whatever balance remains at statement close. 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.