Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Retention Offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum Retention Offer

Sry to necro this thread, but I was one that got the 100K off last May for the Platinum card.  It is now up for renewal, but I'm still at the old $450 AF when due on the 20th.  I was offered 30K MR or $300 credit to keep the card.  I guess I'm just up in the air as to whether or not keep it, and if so, which offer to accept.  All of our points from several different cards have been used up with trips this year.  We won't take any more until next year and I just don't know if it's worth it to keep it or not, if I did I guess the $300 credit would be the way to go so I don't drop $450 at once.  I also have the PRG card, which I use alot, so I won't lose any of the MR i have as of now.  Hmm, just thinking out loud, thanks for listening.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Platinum Retention Offer

@Anonymous, the thread you were replying to was over a year old and much has changed with the Amex Platinum, so I've moved your post to a new thread.

--UB

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a solid retention offer. How much spend do you put on the card a year if you don't mind sharing?

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would certainly take that offer! I mean it really all does depend on how much you spend in the 5x category (airfare and hotel w/ restrictions) and if you are going to end up using the card benefits.

I find that, at least with my mom who has a Platinum card, the benefits for Hilton and SPG are so worth it with this card! Plus the car rental benefits. But again, if you don't use any of these, might not be worth it.

However, 30k MR points at an average points transfer evaluation, say $300, will leave you at $250 for the AF. Minus $200 travel, you have $50. Minus the $200 in Uber, they are paying you $150! (that is if you use the travel and Uber credits)!

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow $300 credit? That's huge. I would take it for sure and keep the card another year!
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, think I'm gonna do that. Need to save $300 more than I need the 30K MR right now, although that would be very nice to save for next year. All of our trips for this year are booked already. Oh well...
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That is a solid retention offer. How much spend do you put on the card a year if you don't mind sharing?

I actually only really put the amount I needed to for the sign-up bonus.  A little more here and there.  However, with the new 5X airfare/hotels thing, I would probably put alot more on it.  I think I'll go ahead and call and see if the retention offer is still available, if not I'll just close it.  When I called they said I still had time to decide, and the $450 fee doesn't post till the 20th.  $450-$300 (retention offer)= $150!  Woohoo!  Smiley Happy  My fee doesn't jump to $550 until next May, so I think I'll do it.

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'd jump all over that. It sounds like your spending habits are the same as mine on that card which is good t know that Amex will give out a retention offer like that for that kind of spend. It's a great perks card but for spending not so much.

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just called and accepted the $300 offer.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just called and accepted the $300 offer.  Smiley Happy

Nice!!! I may have to call to see if there are any retention offers for me. I could use 30k MR

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.