Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Travel Credit?

tag
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

Amex Platinum Travel Credit?

A couple of months ago it was announced that Amex Platinum card holders that would renew their card this year would get an additional $200 credit to be used through Amex Travel. I renewed my platinum in August because it seemed like it would be incredibly easy to use this credit and the AF would more than be made up. It seemed like in the chats that happened here there was an area to check it under card benefits but I see no such credit. Has anyone had problems with this credit? If there is something in benefits can someone post a picture of the counter?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Travel Credit?

You can see this on the home screen on the desktop app

To use/get the credit, you MUST book through AX travel and then it will credit back to you.  It's not like some of those other offers where you can spend money anywhere and get a credit.

I have found that hotels aren't really any better priced unless you're staying at a high end property and getting their extra free nights because of your membership.  When it comes to airlines, I prefer to book directly with the airline and get their points and use those points, qualifying dollars and miles for status with them versus AMEX.  I guess it depends on your travel frequency/goal.  Mine will likely go unused :-(

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 1.27.54 PM.png

Message 2 of 13
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

You can see this on the home screen on the desktop app

To use/get the credit, you MUST book through AX travel and then it will credit back to you.  It's not like some of those other offers where you can spend money anywhere and get a credit.

I have found that hotels aren't really any better priced unless you're staying at a high end property and getting their extra free nights because of your membership.  When it comes to airlines, I prefer to book directly with the airline and get their points and use those points, qualifying dollars and miles for status with them versus AMEX.  I guess it depends on your travel frequency/goal.  Mine will likely go unused :-(

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 1.27.54 PM.png

This offer went to anyone that renewed their card this year right? I don't see anything like this in offers or on the front page.

Message 3 of 13
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

Update for those who also have this question; I messaged Amex on I.M. and they said that this offer is targeted and sadly not 100% of all personal platinum cards.
Message 4 of 13
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

Flights booked through AmEx travel(and any OTA) can be credited to the Frequent Flyer Program of the airline operating the flight or any of their eligible partners so no need to worry about that. I used mine without any trouble. 

Message 5 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Correct, unlike hotels, with airlines you will almost always earn FF miles and elite qualifying credits no matter how you book a revenue flight, with the exception of some consolidator fares (these will usually be all-in-one vacation packages or bulk fares from a travel agent).

@ToxikPH Do you have the regular Amex Platinum Card, or a cobranded one?  Mine has not renewed yet, but the credit should show up at the beginning of the month following renewal on the regular Amex Platinum Card.

Message 6 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@ToxikPH wrote:
Update for those who also have this question; I messaged Amex on I.M. and they said that this offer is targeted and sadly not 100% of all personal platinum cards.

It's targeted to those renewing their card between April 2020 and March 2021.

Message 7 of 13
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Correct, unlike hotels, with airlines you will almost always earn FF miles and elite qualifying credits no matter how you book a revenue flight, with the exception of some consolidator fares (these will usually be all-in-one vacation packages or bulk fares from a travel agent).

@ToxikPH Do you have the regular Amex Platinum Card, or a cobranded one?  Mine has not renewed yet, but the credit should show up at the beginning of the month following renewal or the regular Amex Platinum Card.

Thanks @K-in-Boston I wasn't aware of the additional benefit.  I know you're Delta, I'm American...and I didn't think the EQM or EQD would qualify if they weren't purchased directly through AA or DAL.  Bad assumption on my part...

My Platinum (not cobranded) renewal was in May 2020 @ToxikPH 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The short of it is - AmEx makes you book through their website in order to receive the travel credit, up to $200, whereas Chase will credit back anything falling under the "Travel" category, up to $300. 

For annual fees that are the same, I'd much rather get the higher credit and be able to use it on purchases from Kayak, Priceline, etc. - exactly where and how I want to use it. I can still find 4 and 5 star hotels through 3rd party sites with ease, and have room selection, as well. 

Message 9 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

No problem @cashorcharge.  It's one of those changes that has been feared for years but never happened; OTA airfare is treated the same as anything else issued with the same fare class (i.e. F, J, Y, X, etc.) and for domestic and some international travel, Amex Travel, Chase Travel Portal, ThankYou Travel Portal, and Altitude Reserve Travel Portal have been key parts of obtaining and maintaining status the past couple years.  In many cases, the net return on portal redemption and FF miles earned is greater than award bookings and still earns elite qualifications.  The downside using SkyTeam for example is that a portal may not have a Delta flight from BOS to CDG sold by Air France or KLM and only the Delta marketed flight, whereas codeshares for international flights can sometimes earn much more in both miles and elite qualifyiers (as they are typically based on % of miles flown rather than $ spent) than those of the carrier itself.  That would be the case with AA and UA as well for some of their partners.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.