Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum -- bye bye Frontier

tag
DONZI
Established Contributor

Amex Platinum -- bye bye Frontier

Just noticed that the Airline Credit has been adjusted.

Effective immediately Frontier Airlines is no longer an option for the airline credit.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum -- bye bye Frontier

Yes Amex announced late last year that Frontier would no longer be eligible for the airline credit starting this month. 

Message 2 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Any reason why? Maybe too much was coding as an extra when a base fare is so limited?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Any reason why? Maybe too much was coding as an extra when a base fare is so limited?

Yes, a courtesy from Amex to cardholders not to fly the crappy airline.......

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 14
DONZI
Established Contributor

@Eagered2succeed wrote:

Yes Amex announced late last year that Frontier would no longer be eligible for the airline credit starting this month. 

I missed that. Last year.. seems to long ago now. Smiley LOL  I just found out from my paper statement that arrived yesterday.

Was this notice on my statement a follow up, or announced some other way I missed previously?  ..maybe a statement I had no transaction to review; those sometimes go right from the envelope to the file.

paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
Message 5 of 14
StephenH
Regular Contributor

@DONZI wrote:

Just noticed that the Airline Credit has been adjusted.

Effective immediately Frontier Airlines is no longer an option for the airline credit.

Can't pay me to use Frontier lol.

For the people that don't fly enough to justify holding on to the card, how do you feel about having to pick an airline from a domestic line up to use the credit and are you able to cover the entire credit?

Bankruptcy Chapter 7 DC 03/2021
IIB: Chase CSR 10K, Amex BCP 20K, Disco It 9K, Citi DC 3K

Cap One Plat. 04/2021 3K SL ---> CLI 3.3K ---> PC Venture One ---> PC QS ---> PC Savor One
Cap One QS1 08/2021 3K SL ---> CLI 5.5K ---> PC QS (no AF) ---> PC Venture ---> PC QS
Penfed PCR 12/2022 12.5K SL

Installment Loan 08/2021 ( PIF)
Student Loan 09/2014 10K remaining

As of 04/2024:
FICO 8: 707 EX, 701 EQ, 703 TU
Message 6 of 14
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

@DONZI wrote:

@Eagered2succeed wrote:

I missed that. Last year.. seems to long ago now. Smiley LOL  I just found out from my paper statement that arrived yesterday.

Was this notice on my statement a follow up, or announced some other way I missed previously?  ..maybe a statement I had no transaction to review; those sometimes go right from the envelope to the file.

I'm always looking at Doctor of credit which keeps you well informed on just about anything credit related 🤣.

Message 7 of 14
DONZI
Established Contributor

@StephenH  having to commit to one airline for the credit IMO is kind of a drag... but in reality the credit req. helped me just pick something and be done with it... I may have never chosen an airline otherwise.

I actually got some of the delta credit last year for something small.. I think that it was the cost of a guest into the Delta Lounge somewhere. I apparently could go in free due to the platinum, but despite us having 1st class tickets, that alone didn't include gratis entry for my companion.

@Eagered2succeed  ah.. I browse the assorted bloggers every now and then but tend to just visit here instead.

Message 8 of 14
TMDSCT
Regular Contributor

So what you're really saying is AMEX cares so much about their members that they can no longer allow them to slum it in the skies.  LOL

Message 9 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

@TMDSCT wrote:

So what you're really saying is AMEX cares so much about their members that they can no longer allow them to slum it in the skies.  LOL

Somtimes you need to protect people from themselves.....Amex's Public Service Announcement......

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.