Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum — cancel or downgrade?

tag
1LostArk
Regular Contributor

Amex Platinum — cancel or downgrade?

I can't justify the AF on my Platinum next year, so I'd like to cancel or downgrade to a Green. I will probably want a Platinum again at some point, so would it be better to downgrade now and upgrade in the future, or simply cancel and reapply in the future? Staying on good terms with Amex is of paramount importance to me, so if it would be better to downgrade I have no problem with that, but if it makes no difference I'll just cancel. Thanks!

Business Cards:
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum — cancel or downgrade?

As long as you maintain your account, downgrading to the Green and then awaiting for an upgrade offer or reapplying in the future will not affect your relationship. You "may" lose out on benefits/SUB's when you go back depending on the offer verbiage when the time comes regarding lifetime eligibility etc...however, ultimately, if you maintain your account...suffice to say, AMEX is likely to send you offers to woo you back to the Plat...sometimes with an offer, sometimes not.  To stay in their ecosystem, I would chose to downgrade if I couldn't justify the AF versus closing althogether.

Message 2 of 29
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You could do either, but if you don't mind paying the smaller AF and can actually get use out of the Green, then it'd be better to downgrade and wait for an upgrade offer later.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 29
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I've been struggling with this same question...  Ever since the pandemic,  the work travel has REALLY slowed down. But you never know when things will change...  I'm not a fan of reapplying so the downgrade may be the move after all.

Message 4 of 29
1LostArk
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the input everyone! I will downgrade to Green and upgrade back to Plat if and when Amex dangles a carrot.

Business Cards:
Message 5 of 29
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Can you justify the AF of Green? If not, it might be better to cancel Platinum. In case that you would need Platinum in future, you may apply again to the other places that provide Amex Platinum like schewab (should be able to get SUB also).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 6 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

Can you justify the AF of Green? If not, it might be better to cancel Platinum. In case that you would need Platinum in future, you may apply again to the other places that provide Amex Platinum like schewab (should be able to get SUB also).

Though note you cannot PC Schwab Platinum to anything else.

And FWIW, two Platinums and a Gold work for me, but a Green doesn't. But I have Gold for dining, Platinum for flights and lounges, limited non-award hotel stays, and cheap mass transit.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 29
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Correct. Green almost does not have perks and the OP should evaluate whether it is worth to pay AF.

Btw, I like the way that you jusitfy keeping two platinum and one Gold Smiley Happy

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 8 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

Correct. Green almost does not have perks and the OP should evaluate whether it is worth to pay AF.

Btw, I like the way that you jusitfy keeping two platinum and one Gold Smiley Happy

LOL...I can see what you mean...a second (unintended) way to read my post.

"Every feature of Green is beaten or seriously rivaled by another card" versus "I only use Platinum for flights and lounges, but I need two...one personal one business, or just in case I lose one"

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 29
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

The AmEx Green is really a bad card.  You get little with the $150 AF.  You'd be better off sticking with Plat.  Or just close it.

Even the Gold is a far better card than the Green.  The AF is only $100 higher.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.