Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum conversation

tag
rex_03
Contributor

Amex Platinum conversation

So, I applied and approved for the AMEX Platinum a week ago. I got the card and used it for a couple of purchases. Last night I got an email from Amex that there is a security concern, and possible fraud. I call, speak to a rep and verify everything.. He asked if I created the application, and I replied yes. We talked and he looked into the system, and verifies a few things. He calls me back on my phone to verify my identity. All this, because to the best of my understanding fraud is on the rise.. I just found all of this odd, as there were no charges outside of my purchases. Could this have been a random pull from their security team or something?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Platinum conversation

@rex_03 wrote:
So, I applied and approved for the AMEX Platinum a week ago. I got the card and used it for a couple of purchases. Last night I got an email from Amex that there is a security concern, and possible fraud. I call, speak to a rep and verify everything.. He asked if I created the application, and I replied yes. We talked and he looked into the system, and verifies a few things. He calls me back on my phone to verify my identity. All this, because to the best of my understanding fraud is on the rise.. I just found all of this odd, as there were no charges outside of my purchases. Could this have been a random pull from their security team or something?

I'm not certain many people haven't gotten a call from them with first membership on a charge card.

Seriously happened two transactions in on the first day on my Zync, and have heard of many others report similarly.  Business as usual, nothing to worry about.

        
Message 2 of 10
rex_03
Contributor

Ahh, so a charge card is a little more verification, and caution on their side. Gotcha. After my conversation with Amex the rep stated he would release the notes or concerns on my file. That's a good thing, as I was at dinner finishing up, and ready to pay. A decline would have blown if I didn't see the email I'd gotten.. Lol
Message 3 of 10
W0MACK
Valued Member

No declines at dinner, that's my rule too. I could care less if it declines at just about anywhere else, but when I'm at dinner/bar/club etc it just feels so stupid to have the card declined lol

Current Scores:
EX: 675 12/2014
EQ: 698 01/2015
TU: 714 07/2014
Last App: 05/27/2014
Goal : 750 Across the Board
Message 4 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

My first (from Amex's pov, I had an Amex 30 years ago that they long since lost record of) card was a Plat. Never had any calls or security emails from them and I've used it heavily from the start.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 5 of 10
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

I don't think its card specific. I had to jump through some identity verification hoops to be approve for my charge and credit card. Same story with Discover. I don't mind doing it, liability for fraud is going to land on the issuer but I would be unhappy to have my card randomly declined.

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

OP,  same thing happened to me the first week I got my Plat. I was already traveling and it set off fraud alerts. Called them and they said I had to get paperwork notarized for proof of identity and then fax it in. Was a hassle.

I've had a few more fraud alerts since then,  but only had to call in to verify instead of faxing notirized paperwork. So much for a travel card.

Message 7 of 10
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

I had a very similar experience when I applied and was approved for the PRG and BCP last year. I've been a member since 2004 and that was the first time I felt like I was jumping through hoops to verify my identity.

Message 8 of 10
rex_03
Contributor

^^^^^
I have been a member since 07. It is kinda odd having to verify myself too. I can understand
Message 9 of 10
plasticcards
New Contributor

I had my Platinum card for a couple weeks now. I have been travelling all over USA and Mexico right now. And I have not had any alerts with them yet! I hope we can keep it that way lol But I did cal land tell them I was going to be travelling. Just in case. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.