cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum or Citi Prestige ??????

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum or Citi Prestige ??????

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Saleen099 wrote:

Has anybody taking advantage of the golf perk and if so what do you think about it? 

I've looked into it, and you can get IMMENSE value out of it. The problem is you need to find someone else willing to pay the cost for the round of golf to play with you, unless you want to just go out yourself and (potentially) get paired up with strangers. 

I think it could be a substantially stronger benefit if it was a free round of golf for 2. 

+1 That would be a massive perk for people who golf. If that was the case I'd probably take up golf just to use the perk!

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 81 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Saleen099 wrote:

Has anybody taking advantage of the golf perk and if so what do you think about it? 

I've used it and love it.  Very simple process and Jsucool you apparently have cheap friends Smiley Tongue

Message 82 of 90
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

I had both. But got rid of the Platinum once their benefits started to dwindle. First I think they got rid of the free domestic flight. Then Costco kicked them to the curb. They lost lounge access. Also, they aren't accepted everywhere Mastercard is. 

The $250 cash back from Citi is great. It's automatic. The only thing I'll miss from the Platinum card are the hotel and cruise benfits. $100 for meals was pretty cool. 

I just feel I can do more with the Prestige. We just made our first 4 night reservation. Which they made it easier to get now. INstead of being transfered to another travel agent, the Citi rep can reserve your rooms for you now. 

I did a PC down to the green card and I'm about to cancel that before the AF comes in this fall. They need to up their game. They were one of the first in the credit card game and now other issuers are passing them by. That's unacceptable for a card with a $450 fee. And I can't even use it everwhere Visa and Mastercard are used.

Oh, and the points do suck. I just reserved a free night in Cannes, FR for just 17,000 points with the Pristige and it didn't take me a long time to get those 17,000 points.

Message 83 of 90
Open123
Super Contributor

Having experienced the Prestige this past quarter, it's easily one of the best value propositions for travelers and those who fly AA.  I've already used the 50K TY points for AA redemptions, accessed Admirals Clubs, used this year's $250 credit and will used the another once it hits 2017.  Later in the year, I'm planning to use the Golf perk to see how it works.  Not bad for $350 for Citigold folks.

If I had to keep one, I'd still opt for the Amex Plat for the lounge access.  There's one in my home airport and the cities I fly most frequently to--DFW, LGA, and LAS.  This perk is just too valuable to give up.

Message 84 of 90
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

I don't know. A $450 card just for a lounge. Now, if the Platinum got me VIP status in local lounges and bars, then it would be a keeper. lol  But for someone who times their arrivals to where not much time is spent in lounges, then it's not a benefit worth keeping. I have yet to have a layovert longer than an hour. So, I really can't take advantage.

Message 85 of 90
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@adelphi_sky wrote:

I had both. But got rid of the Platinum once their benefits started to dwindle. First I think they got rid of the free domestic flight. Then Costco kicked them to the curb. They lost lounge access. Also, they aren't accepted everywhere Mastercard is. 

The $250 cash back from Citi is great. It's automatic. The only thing I'll miss from the Platinum card are the hotel and cruise benfits. $100 for meals was pretty cool. 

I just feel I can do more with the Prestige. We just made our first 4 night reservation. Which they made it easier to get now. INstead of being transfered to another travel agent, the Citi rep can reserve your rooms for you now. 

I did a PC down to the green card and I'm about to cancel that before the AF comes in this fall. They need to up their game. They were one of the first in the credit card game and now other issuers are passing them by. That's unacceptable for a card with a $450 fee. And I can't even use it everwhere Visa and Mastercard are used.

Oh, and the points do suck. I just reserved a free night in Cannes, FR for just 17,000 points with the Pristige and it didn't take me a long time to get those 17,000 points.

Citi prestige offers simillar perks to amex FHR for four seasons and ritz hotels. Just need to book through the prestige concierge. 

Message 86 of 90
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Having experienced the Prestige this past quarter, it's easily one of the best value propositions for travelers and those who fly AA.  I've already used the 50K TY points for AA redemptions, accessed Admirals Clubs, used this year's $250 credit and will used the another once it hits 2017.  Later in the year, I'm planning to use the Golf perk to see how it works.  Not bad for $350 for Citigold folks.

If I had to keep one, I'd still opt for the Amex Plat for the lounge access.  There's one in my home airport and the cities I fly most frequently to--DFW, LGA, and LAS.  This perk is just too valuable to give up.

That is one of the few scenarios where a plat absolutely makes sense over the prestige and can be worth the AF. 

;
Message 87 of 90
red259
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@adelphi_sky wrote:

Citi prestige offers simillar perks to amex FHR for four seasons and ritz hotels. Just need to book through the prestige concierge. 

If you book a Rtiz through prestige concierge do you still earn marriott points on the stay? Do you need to pay with the prestige card?

;
Message 88 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure when this was ressurected or whatever, but, I do remember reading that cardholders were being asked about possible program changes for the prestige. instead of 4th night free, a 25% discount, possible higher annual fee, or lower annual fee, but changes are probably coming

Message 89 of 90
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@adelphi_sky wrote:

If you book a Rtiz through prestige concierge do you still earn marriott points on the stay? Do you need to pay with the prestige card?

Yes (assuming Marriott points are your earning preference) and yes.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 90 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.