Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum seems not worth it

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum seems not worth it

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

Felt that way in the beginning but now it seems worth it.  Like someone mentioned, if you travel enough, the benefits are good.  If you don't, then not so good.  I took advantage of the $200 airline credit and uber credits.  Still have not done the global entry thing yet but that's next.  

I think each card out there is different and each of us needs one for different purposes.

Forgot to add, I received the 100k signup bonus offer which will come in handy as I'm saving for a trip to Tahiti or Thailand for my 20 yr wedding anniversary.

+1 Exactly. This is what Im talking about. This is  alone worth AF already. Congrats for 20th wedding anniversary. Smiley Wink

Example: I transfered my 100k to ANA, example below is itinerary all business class trips to ASIA. If I pay this trip with CASH, it might cost me over $6000. I would never ever can afford flying International Business Class, EVER.  MR is soooooooo valuable.

ANA.jpg

Message 31 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a BALLER itinerary! I'm curious how to do it, but have to make my spend first to get the 100K miles!

Message 32 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

My body is ready...

@Anonymous wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

Felt that way in the beginning but now it seems worth it.  Like someone mentioned, if you travel enough, the benefits are good.  If you don't, then not so good.  I took advantage of the $200 airline credit and uber credits.  Still have not done the global entry thing yet but that's next.  

I think each card out there is different and each of us needs one for different purposes.

Forgot to add, I received the 100k signup bonus offer which will come in handy as I'm saving for a trip to Tahiti or Thailand for my 20 yr wedding anniversary.

+1 Exactly. This is what Im talking about. This is  alone worth AF already. Congrats for 20th wedding anniversary. Smiley Wink

Example: I transfered my 100k to ANA, example below is itinerary all business class trips to ASIA. If I pay this trip with CASH, it might cost me over $6000. I would never ever can afford flying International Business Class, EVER.  MR is soooooooo valuable.

ANA.jpg

Message 33 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That is a BALLER itinerary! I'm curious how to do it, but have to make my spend first to get the 100K miles!

E X A C T L Y.  Do it! Get those SUB 100k miles. Smiley Wink

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've said it countless times before but unless you live in an Airplane you shouldn't app for the Platinum card.

It absolutely is worth the $550AF.. For those who are Jet Setters (Personal or Work). Otherwise, many other cards make much more sense.
Message 35 of 41
red259
Super Contributor

The amex plat is taking some hits with the change to the marriott program etc. Its not an amazing card by any stretch. For the vast majority of people I would not recomment the plat card. I got my personal plat card with a 100k mile signup and $450 and it was worth it back then. I have the amex business plat card now. Honestly I don't know what I will do after this year is up. Either the amex plat or the CSR is going to be on the chopping block (I like the PP lounge access). 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 36 of 41
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

The amex plat is taking some hits with the change to the marriott program etc. Its not an amazing card by any stretch. For the vast majority of people I would not recomment the plat card. I got my personal plat card with a 100k mile signup and $450 and it was worth it back then. I have the amex business plat card now. Honestly I don't know what I will do after this year is up. Either the amex plat or the CSR is going to be on the chopping block (I like the PP lounge access). 

My biggest grip with the Platinum card is the earning structure.  1x on everything except airline flights and hotels booked through amex travel.  This card works best for those that have a good combo card to go with it like the Amex EDP or maybe even the PRG.  

I too love the lounge access.  Probably my favorite part about this card.  Kids love it tooSmiley Happy

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 37 of 41
red259
Super Contributor

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

@red259 wrote:

My biggest grip with the Platinum card is the earning structure.  1x on everything except airline flights and hotels booked through amex travel.  This card works best for those that have a good combo card to go with it like the Amex EDP or maybe even the PRG.  

I too love the lounge access.  Probably my favorite part about this card.  Kids love it tooSmiley Happy

This is a card that you keep for the perks. There is minimal reason to keep this card for earnings with few exceptions.

;
Message 38 of 41
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but as someone who stays mostly at IHG and Hyatt properties, I think the upcoming LAX and JFK Centurions more than make up for Marriott nerfs.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 39 of 41
red259
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but as someone who stays mostly at IHG and Hyatt properties, I think the upcoming LAX and JFK Centurions more than make up for Marriott nerfs.

I have a flight coming up out of LGA so I will be able to check out my first domestic Centurion lounge. I have heard there can be significant crowding issues so that can seriously diminish the value. I did go to the centurion lounge at HKG. It was a joke compared to CX lounges in HKG. Centurion access may be worth it if you frequent airports that have them and you don't have lounge access by other means. Over time this feature needs to be reevaluated since the more coverage they have the more potential value, but still you need to have a certain number of lounge visits each year to make that AF worth it. 

;
Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.