cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum vs Amex Preferred Rewards Gold which one do I keep.

tag
kaw943
Regular Contributor

Amex Platinum vs Amex Preferred Rewards Gold which one do I keep.

Okay, folks, I am trimming away the fat and getting rid of some of these cards especially one's I pay an annual fee on.  So this time up it's Amex since they like to evaluate customers its time for their evaluation on whether or not all of their cards are staying in my wallet.  Okay so I have had the platinum and PRG since 2013, but one needs to go.  I need some help with both earn rewards points however really don't know what the platinum is good for I have the Citi AA Executive world elite MC which has the same benefits when it comes to airlines since I fly AA 99% of the time.  They both give you the same credits each year, is there a pro out there that could help me decide which one of these Amex's to keep.  Also, let me throw in the Blue Cash as well they haven't given me  CLI since the very first one had the card four years now and it's the lowest card in the stable. 

Trans 740| Equifax 722| Experian 733| Chase Sapphire Reserve 20k|Discover It 12k| Bofa Cash Rewards 22k| Citi Prestige 11k and AA Executive WEMC 22k|Amazon SC 7k|FNBO TravElite 10k| Amex Plat NSPL, Everyday Preferred 6k|PenFed Plat Rewards
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum vs Amex Preferred Rewards Gold which one do I keep.

Do you get value from Hilton or SPG/Marriott status?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're not utilizing the full benefits of the Plat, get rid of it asap. The $450 hefty AF is not worth it unless you're in the air all the time!
Message 3 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

I would wait until Jan because there are rumors that Amex is going to make changes to plat for the better.

So if your AF isn't up in the next couple of months hold out to see if any changes are going to happen.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 14
kaw943
Regular Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Do you get value from Hilton or SPG/Marriott status?

Not really I have the Marriott card with Chase and the ritz now they are one. So I get no value from Amex on this one, I do like Hilton's but really haven't stayed at any even my business travels are Marriotts .

Trans 740| Equifax 722| Experian 733| Chase Sapphire Reserve 20k|Discover It 12k| Bofa Cash Rewards 22k| Citi Prestige 11k and AA Executive WEMC 22k|Amazon SC 7k|FNBO TravElite 10k| Amex Plat NSPL, Everyday Preferred 6k|PenFed Plat Rewards
Message 5 of 14
kaw943
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If you're not utilizing the full benefits of the Plat, get rid of it asap. The $450 hefty AF is not worth it unless you're in the air all the time!

I do fly a lot for work, so instead of using the corp card I use my Citi AA Executive world elite MC I have over 100k miles built up. 

Message 6 of 14
kaw943
Regular Contributor

@redpat wrote:
I would wait until Jan because there are rumors that Amex is going to make changes to plat for the better.

So if your AF isn't up in the next couple of months hold out to see if any changes are going to happen.

My AF wouldn't come up until March as that is my anniversary month.  

Message 7 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

That"s good news AF is March. Any changes should be done by then.

Now you just have to sit back, wait and see.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd drop the Platinum for the AF alone, especially if it's not seeing as much usage as your others. 

Message 9 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

How much are you spending on flights? You can get 5x points on flights through amex travel or directly from airline. Heck of a lot better return than the 2x points you are getting from AA. If your spend on airfare is high this can be huge. Factor in the airline credit to the AF. Also, with your airport do you use? If it has a centurion lounge that is something to consider as well. I ditched my amex plat because i got most of the benefits I needed from the prestige. I have the amex gold business card still nut I will probably close that next year. Also, don't cancel the plat card until its time to renew. You paid for it so use it for the full year. In addition, I'd call in and ask about a retention offer if you have any use for the plat at all. If you are just not using it not even for airfare spend then just close it. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.