cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum vs Amex Preferred Rewards Gold which one do I keep.

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum vs Amex Preferred Rewards Gold which one do I keep.

@red259 wrote:

How much are you spending on flights? You can get 5x points on flights through amex travel or directly from airline. Heck of a lot better return than the 2x points you are getting from AA. If your spend on airfare is high this can be huge. Factor in the airline credit to the AF. Also, with your airport do you use? If it has a centurion lounge that is something to consider as well. I ditched my amex plat because i got most of the benefits I needed from the prestige. I have the amex gold business card still nut I will probably close that next year. Also, don't cancel the plat card until its time to renew. You paid for it so use it for the full year. In addition, I'd call in and ask about a retention offer if you have any use for the plat at all. If you are just not using it not even for airfare spend then just close it. 

Even though you fly AA 99% of the time, there's still a limited footprint of convenient Admirals and participating Oneworld lounges. Priority Pass and Centurion access may come in handy.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

How much are you spending on flights? You can get 5x points on flights through amex travel or directly from airline. Heck of a lot better return than the 2x points you are getting from AA. If your spend on airfare is high this can be huge. Factor in the airline credit to the AF. Also, with your airport do you use? If it has a centurion lounge that is something to consider as well. I ditched my amex plat because i got most of the benefits I needed from the prestige. I have the amex gold business card still nut I will probably close that next year. Also, don't cancel the plat card until its time to renew. You paid for it so use it for the full year. In addition, I'd call in and ask about a retention offer if you have any use for the plat at all. If you are just not using it not even for airfare spend then just close it. 

Even though you fly AA 99% of the time, there's still a limited footprint of convenient Admirals and participating Oneworld lounges. Priority Pass and Centurion access may come in handy.

I believe the citi AA exec also hs reciprocal lounge access with some partner airlines. Not sure if the coverage is as extensive as PP. I use PP a lot for international travel, because I have it via the prestige card and that gives me AA access at least for another year when I'm actually flying AA. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I has the gold card many yerrs and good service to me work in Tel Aviv when go for pesach
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really depends on what you're loyal to in my eyes. If you're not using all the perks of the Plat then you probably don't need it. Are you concentrating on MR points? If so, the 5x points could be great. Also the $200 airline credit as well. Versus the PRG? Idk... are you using the 3x for airfare on that? Plat gets you better return 'point' wise, but of course the AFs are a big difference. Basically what points / reward programs are you focusing on? Maybe right down a list of pros and cons of the cards? I was going to get rid of my PRG because the 5x airfare on the Plat made it somewhat useless, but juggling some numbers made me keep it.

I'm loyal to Delta, SPG, and MR points. So the combo of AmEx MR cards, SPG, and Delta is bringing in all the points for me. 

Apparently, according to some of these posts, some changes are coming to the Plat so I would sit tight if this is the case as well! Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.