Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum w/no HP? (and general Amex) Q's

tag
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

Amex Platinum w/no HP? (and general Amex) Q's

Have a solid stable of quality credit cards and no need or strong desire to add more at this hour.  Fico8  750ish, moderate (but not obscene) inquiries and in a 2 months most INQ's will be over 1 year old).

A long term goal:

- Grow/solidify my relationship with AMEX. 

- Currently have only one card (BCE) with them  Currently $12K, always PIF with monthly useage typically only a couple hundred bucks.   In a few months I anticipate CLI will bump CL substantially (time for 2nd 3x) most of my other quality cards are higher CL.

- I have pre-approval offers for Platinum (and gold), I'm confident I'd get a YES if I app.   

I can justify the Platinum AF with Uber and incidental airline perks offsetting much of the AF.  (factoring in a few dollars of vanity-value by having that cool metal in my wallet).   It would be my only charge card.

I asked Amex if I can get Platinum without a HP, and they won't say they will, but it sounds like it's possible, ...a gamble.

**Is there any wisdom on getting a new card with AMEX, without HP?  ...even if not fully guaranteed, at least a high probability??

* Would it make sense to do this before? or after? my upcoming CLI request on my only other Amex card?

I'm not really worried about my internal spending limit on the Platinum, it'll be adequate whatever it is and I have other high limit cards if I need them (my organic spend is low compared to most), but I would like to take my relationship with AMEX to the next level. -Ideally without incurring a HP.

Thanks for any wisdom wisdom, -->extra thanks for good wisdom.

||
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum w/no HP? (and general Amex) Q's

Do you care about SUB or not , if so i would try and hold out for 100k offer. As far as requiring an HP for plat that is an interesting one. The one thing I don't like about amex CSR is that they are pretty unreliable when it comes to information they give i have gotten few different answers when i asked same question. Its just something to keep in mind if they they tell you that you may get an hp or if they tell you we definately won't HP you.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 8
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Do you care about SUB or not , if so i would try and hold out for 100k offer. As far as requiring an HP for plat that is an interesting one.<snip>

That is a great point.  Because I don't chase subs, I didn't factor that.  But it would be silly not to take advantage.   

Since I'm in no panic, I might as well time my move for a good sub

-ideally with no HP 

-ideally and when I have big (for me) spend coming up.   

but worse case

HP won't kill me, and I can always make the spend with quality purchases if need be.  (ie:  wine)

||
Message 3 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@MachoHombre wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Do you care about SUB or not , if so i would try and hold out for 100k offer. As far as requiring an HP for plat that is an interesting one.<snip>

That is a great point.  Because I don't chase subs, I didn't factor that.  But it would be silly not to take advantage.   

Since I'm in no panic, I might as well time my move for a good sub

-ideally with no HP 

-ideally and when I have big (for me) spend coming up.   

but worse case

HP won't kill me, and I can always make the spend with quality purchases if need be.  (ie:  wine)

the reason that can be important is that amex has once a lifetime SUB so i try and wait for the best possible SUB oppurtunity.

On a side note I have heard that if you have a amex card already its a lot harder to find that elusive 100k Plat offer. I don't really know how true that is, but from my experience since I have an BCE,ED , and Gold i have never seen that offer. It may just be that rare.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 8
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@MachoHombre wrote:

Have a solid stable of quality credit cards and no need or strong desire to add more at this hour.  Fico8  750ish, moderate (but not obscene) inquiries and in a 2 months most INQ's will be over 1 year old).

A long term goal:

- Grow/solidify my relationship with AMEX. 

- Currently have only one card (BCE) with them  Currently $12K, always PIF with monthly useage typically only a couple hundred bucks.   In a few months I anticipate CLI will bump CL substantially (time for 2nd 3x) most of my other quality cards are higher CL.

- I have pre-approval offers for Platinum (and gold), I'm confident I'd get a YES if I app.   

I can justify the Platinum AF with Uber and incidental airline perks offsetting much of the AF.  (factoring in a few dollars of vanity-value by having that cool metal in my wallet).   It would be my only charge card.

I asked Amex if I can get Platinum without a HP, and they won't say they will, but it sounds like it's possible, ...a gamble.

**Is there any wisdom on getting a new card with AMEX, without HP?  ...even if not fully guaranteed, at least a high probability??

* Would it make sense to do this before? or after? my upcoming CLI request on my only other Amex card?

I'm not really worried about my internal spending limit on the Platinum, it'll be adequate whatever it is and I have other high limit cards if I need them (my organic spend is low compared to most), but I would like to take my relationship with AMEX to the next level. -Ideally without incurring a HP.

Thanks for any wisdom wisdom, -->extra thanks for good wisdom.

How long have you had the BCE? Typically an SP will happen for accounts that have been opened for over 60 days. You mentioned a 3x CLI so I assume it's been more than 60 days. If you can't hold out for the 100K offer and you have a more urgent use for the cards, there's a 75K offer out there that's much easier to find. 

[2/2019]
Message 5 of 8
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

How long have you had the BCE? Typically an SP will happen for accounts that have been opened for over 60 days. You mentioned a 3x CLI so I assume it's been more than 60 days. If you can't hold out for the 100K offer and you have a more urgent use for the cards, there's a 75K offer out there that's much easier to find. 

BCE is about 11months (way over 60days) I was way tardy on my first 3x CLI request.   No urgent use for Platinum, I can be patient (may work to my advantage anyway). 

I'll keep my eyes open for good subs, I'll factor the 75K as the baseline ...look for bigger (ie 100k) in the months ahead and not do for less than 75K.   At least that seems prudent to me.    Thanks for the thoughts.

||
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a 25 year Amex customer. Over the years I have had the Green, gold, and plat charge cards (not at the same time). Also have two amex credit cards.

I wouldn't fret a HP much. I do t think any showed up on my CR when i switched from gold to plat, or plat back to gold.

Yes, I "downgraded" from plat back to Gold a few years ago to get more MR points with 4x restaurants/groceries. The $100 airline credits/$120 restaurant credits basically cover the annual fee, so the card is free, provides more MR points than plat for my usage (I dont travel much, but eat out every day)., and the metal gold card is just as cool as the silver one!

Message 7 of 8
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm a 25 year Amex customer. Over the years I have had the Green, gold, and plat charge cards (not at the same time). Also have two amex credit cards.

I wouldn't fret a HP much. I do t think any showed up on my CR when i switched from gold to plat, or plat back to gold.

Yes, I "downgraded" from plat back to Gold a few years ago to get more MR points with 4x restaurants/groceries. The $100 airline credits/$120 restaurant credits basically cover the annual fee, so the card is free, provides more MR points than plat for my usage (I dont travel much, but eat out every day)., and the metal gold card is just as cool as the silver one!

Interesting points .  Truth is the Gold matches my spend profile better, but vanity (sorry to admit) is driving factor.   I've decided to wait until/unless 100K platinum offer raises it's head, if it doesn't ..hopefully time and maturity will help me app for the best (plat or gold) card  ...or maybe not even app at all.    

Sidenote:  AMEX Gold continually comes up as great rewards card on my napkin math ...likely better than the ones I'm currently using in spite of the higher AF.

||
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.