Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platnium vs CSR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platnium vs CSR

Are either one of these cards good for a casual traveler? I'm probably going to end up traveling 3-4x a year for personal and business trips. Only one of those trips would be international. I'm preapproved for the Amex platnium. 

I currently have a mix of Amex Blue Cash Preferred, (3 years) Chase Freedom, (2.5 years) Amex Simple Cash Plus (2 Years) cards. My credit score right now is 790. If I got either one of these cards, I probably would want to downgrade the Blue Cash Preferred to Blue Cash Everyday if possible to save on the fee but keep the history intact. 

Any ideas/suggestions? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Platnium vs CSR

Welcome to the forum!  Amex lets you product change MR-earning cards to other MR-earning cards and cash-earning cards to other cash-earning cards, so yes you can downgrade your Preferred to EveryDay.  3-4 trips a year is certainly sufficient enough to justify a premium travel card.  Freedom and CSR can be a great combo if you want to go the UR route.  Platinum pairs well with the ED/EDP cards for earning MRs.  Both Platinum and CSR can be great options to dump points into your preferred 3rd party rewards program.  Before offering advice as to which is best for you, do you have a preferred airline and/or hotel chain?

Message 2 of 12
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are either one of these cards good for a casual traveler? I'm probably going to end up traveling 3-4x a year for personal and business trips. Only one of those trips would be international. I'm preapproved for the Amex platnium. 

I currently have a mix of Amex Blue Cash Preferred, (3 years) Chase Freedom, (2.5 years) Amex Simple Cash Plus (2 Years) cards. My credit score right now is 790. If I got either one of these cards, I probably would want to downgrade the Blue Cash Preferred to Blue Cash Everyday if possible to save on the fee but keep the history intact. 

Any ideas/suggestions? 

somewhat depends on what you are trying to do and if you favor mr or ur more.  I have both as many do.  you have a freedom which you could pc to a unlimited which might be a more well rounded everyday card, then you could get either the csp or the csr.  look into your category spends to see which fits better.  the chase cip has a 80K sign up which is quite nice and besides pp has most everything the csr has.  I view the plat as a perks card, not much more.  if that is a true fico 8 ex you can get whatever you want.  most can get a amex charger, req are very low.  with card one has 4 choices, miles, points, cash or nothing, decide what interests you and go from there.

Message 3 of 12
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

You need to look at what categories of costs will make up your travel expenses (and which categories are paid by your employer on business trips).  The Platinum is best for airfare, but the CSR is best for the overall travel category.  In my case, my airfare is covered by previously earned frequent flyer miles (and was paid directly by my employer before I retired), so Platinum wouldn't help me much, whereas the CSR is wonderful in the way it rewards hotels, railway tickets, taxis, rental cars, parking, etc.  The CSR also has a dining category, which Platinum does not.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you get the Amex Platinum make sure you get at least 75k sign up points. That is what they are offering my wife.  I have Ameriprise Amex Platinum which doesn't come with a bonus and has no fee  the first year.  I don't think the Amex Platinum is that great of a card.  It does give you the ability to get 400 dollars in Airline Gift Cards the first year and a Global Re-Entry reimbursement the first year.  So if you get the 75k points it is pretty good to have at least for a year.  I don't think it makes sense going forward as most every card is giving out airline miles so you aren't going to earn many points with bonus spending through airline ticket purchases.  Also the hotels bonus is only if you book through Amex Travel.

The PRG is probably better for the average traveler as it has better reward categories and you can get a 50k sign up bonus.  I don't really care too much about lounge access but perhaps if your home airport has a centurian lounge or your city is a Delta hub it makes more sense.  As if you fly Delta and you have Amex Platinum you can get into their lounges.  You also get a Priority Pass Select which is what CSR gives you.  So if you lounge access Amex Platinum is superior in that regard. 

Amex transfers to Delta.  CSR to Southwest and United.  That can be a factor to you as well.  

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you get the Amex Platinum make sure you get at least 75k sign up points. That is what they are offering my wife.  I have Ameriprise Amex Platinum which doesn't come with a bonus and has no fee  the first year.  I don't think the Amex Platinum is that great of a card.  It does give you the ability to get 400 dollars in Airline Gift Cards the first year and a Global Re-Entry reimbursement the first year.  So if you get the 75k points it is pretty good to have at least for a year.  I don't think it makes sense going forward as most every card is giving out airline miles so you aren't going to earn many points with bonus spending through airline ticket purchases.  Also the hotels bonus is only if you book through Amex Travel.

The PRG is probably better for the average traveler as it has better reward categories and you can get a 50k sign up bonus.  I don't really care too much about lounge access but perhaps if your home airport has a centurian lounge or your city is a Delta hub it makes more sense.  As if you fly Delta and you have Amex Platinum you can get into their lounges.  You also get a Priority Pass Select which is what CSR gives you.  So if you lounge access Amex Platinum is superior in that regard. 

Amex transfers to Delta.  CSR to Southwest and United.  That can be a factor to you as well.  

I personally would wait for the 100,000 offer. 

The AMEX Platinum is good for those who stay in Hilton's, Starwood's, need TSA PreCheck, need lounge access, and buy airfare (5x category which adds up to a ton of points if you fly freqently). 

Message 6 of 12
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I personally would wait for the 100,000 offer. 

The AMEX Platinum is good for those who stay in Hilton's, Starwood's, need TSA PreCheck, need lounge access, and buy airfare (5x category which adds up to a ton of points if you fly freqently). 

100 for sure and the tks need to be purchased from amex or the carrier so it makes a bit more sense if one is getting reimbursed as there are often better fares available

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

frogman1 brings up a good point regarding your travel habits.  I also think the PRG will be better for you.  BUT, if you really want to choose between AMEX Platinum and CSR, I personally would choose CSR.  Better travel credit, accepted in more places, better travel credit redemption, etc.  Not sure where you will travel, but it is hard to find places in Europe where AMEX is accepted, see by thread below on my bad experience with AMEX while in DIFFERENT citties in Europe.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-Platinum-experience-in-Spain/m-p/5023342#M1468347

Message 8 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

frogman1 brings up a good point regarding your travel habits.  I also think the PRG will be better for you.  BUT, if you really want to choose between AMEX Platinum and CSR, I personally would choose CSR.  Better travel credit, accepted in more places, better travel credit redemption, etc.  Not sure where you will travel, but it is hard to find places in Europe where AMEX is accepted, see by thread below on my bad experience with AMEX while in DIFFERENT citties in Europe.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-Platinum-experience-in-Spain/m-p/5023342#M1468347

For me having 3x dining is a pretty big deal for me why i like csr over platinum. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 12
driftless
Valued Contributor

I like both cards.  For me, it comes down to two factors:

1. Which airlines and hotels do you use most.
  2. What is your feeder system into the cards, i.e. - business cards, other point generating cards like Freedom, EDP, etc.

Whatever system that you pick I would use only reward generating cards in support of that ecosystem and not cash back cards.  

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.