cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Post-BK

NYC_Fella
New Contributor

Amex Post-BK

Ch 7 BK was filed on 9/6/16; discharged on 12/21/16. Amex was not IIB. I've been AU on 2 Amex cards for the last 2 years with high limits ($25K each) and high monthly spend ($15K average); not sure if that's relevant. Current FICO 8 scores are just over 700. Utilization is 4% on total available credit of $100K+ which includes $50K on AU cards.

 

Would now be a good time to apply? And which would be the best card to apply for? I'd like to get a reasonably high SL, maybe in the $10K range. I don't know if Amex buckets, but I really don't want a card with a $1K limit that never goes up. Been there, done that with CapOne and finally dumped them.

 

Supplemental question: Would it be better to try to get a charge card first and build up a history with them?

 

All advice appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator

Re: Amex Post-BK

From what i know although never filed a BK, your BK must at least be 5 years before applying I am not sure if that is filing date or discharge date, but others can answer this question for you.  Regarding your other question if charge card or revolver is easier to get I personally don't think it really matters as they can set limits on either whether it is 500 or 1k or 10k.

Message 2 of 7
FinStar
Moderator

Re: Amex Post-BK


@CreditCuriosity wrote:

From what i know although never filed a BK, your BK must at least be 5 years before applying I am not sure if that is filing date or discharge date, but others can answer this question for you.  Regarding your other question if charge card or revolver is easier to get I personally don't think it really matters as they can set limits on either whether it is 500 or 1k or 10k.


Piggybacking on the above comment, it's typically 5 years + 1 month, @NYC_Fella. AmEx AU accounts are not taken into consideration when applying for your own AmEx account.

 

As far as cards go, select a card that would be of benefit to you in the long term rather than something to get your foot in the door. Try the AmEx pre-qualification portal to gauge the odds when you're ready to consider an application.

Message 3 of 7
Rebuild2022
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Post-BK

There is no clear cut rule with Amex. Mostly I read it has to be after 5 years of BK to apply for Amex. In your case it might be different since you already have AU accounts. I would say apply for it and see if you get it approved. Since you are an AU it might be a soft pull.

Gardening since 08/2020
Message 4 of 7
Remedios
Moderator

Re: Amex Post-BK


@Rebuild2022 wrote:

There is no clear cut rule with Amex. Mostly I read it has to be after 5 years of BK to apply for Amex. In your case it might be different since you already have AU accounts. I would say apply for it and see if you get it approved. Since you are an AU it might be a soft pull.


Why would being AU result in SP? 

 

Message 5 of 7
Rebuild2022
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Post-BK


@Remedios wrote:

@Rebuild2022 wrote:

There is no clear cut rule with Amex. Mostly I read it has to be after 5 years of BK to apply for Amex. In your case it might be different since you already have AU accounts. I would say apply for it and see if you get it approved. Since you are an AU it might be a soft pull.


Why would being AU result in SP? 

 


I thought existing members get SP. I thought being AU could ba a SP. Who knows it could be a HP. OP can call Amex CSR and find out.

Gardening since 08/2020
Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator

Re: Amex Post-BK


@Rebuild2022 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Rebuild2022 wrote:

There is no clear cut rule with Amex. Mostly I read it has to be after 5 years of BK to apply for Amex. In your case it might be different since you already have AU accounts. I would say apply for it and see if you get it approved. Since you are an AU it might be a soft pull.


Why would being AU result in SP? 

 


I thought existing members get SP. I thought being AU could ba a SP. Who knows it could be a HP. OP can call Amex CSR and find out.


Except that the agents seldomly provide accurate information when it comes to HP or SP.

 

It's best for the OP to find out when they decide to apply.  At the end of the day, if the OP gets approved, that's more relevant.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.