Did you mean: 

Amex Prequalification site question...

tag
BootStraps
Established Contributor

Amex Prequalification site question...

Hi folks,

I have a quick question...

I was just checking the Amex prequal site (as I do sometimes when I have the urge to app) and this time I got back something different. I got:

Hello, lisa.

We have found the following special Card offers for you. We invite you to apply for one today. Please note: Identification of special offers may have included a review of your credit history that was not based on your most current credit bureau data.

It came back with card offers for Blue Sky, Green and Gold cards. Here are my questions: Is this a genuine offer or is this their advertising offer? Is their prescreened offer a good indicator of acceptance?

And (of course) does my question make sense?

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Prequalification site question...

Id say apply for the Gold Charge... if approved, then pick a credit card (doesn't have to be blue sky) and apply.

Message 2 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Id say apply for the Gold Charge... if approved, then pick a credit card (doesn't have to be blue sky) and apply.

Well, only if she wants a charge card.   We don't know that she can't get a credit card (as they mention blue sky) if that is what she wants.

Message 3 of 11
BootStraps
Established Contributor

I'll rephrase...

Are their prescreened offers a good indicator? Some sites randomly toss cards out on the screen that have nothing to do with whether or not the person is qualified for them or not.

That's what I'm trying to find out.

Message 4 of 11
baller4life
Super Contributor

Amex's site offers are a pretty good indicator!
Message 5 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@BootStraps wrote:

I'll rephrase...

Are their prescreened offers a good indicator? Some sites randomly toss cards out on the screen that have nothing to do with whether or not the person is qualified for them or not.

not nearly as much talk and experience on the amex pre-qual as other sites but I think they are good odds.

as for other sites, you have to keep in mind usually they give 2 different answers when you fill out the pre-qual:

1. CONGRATS... This offer is for you. or.

2. We didn't find any offers, but you might be interested in...

people get that confused a lot I feel and apply when they didn't get an actual offer and then get denied and then we have all the misunderstanding and myths that these pre-approvals are worthless (yes you certainly can still be declined off a pre-qual, but some banks are known to be FAR more accurate then others with the offers)

take my recent offer from Wells that was then declined for a BK.

but chase offers for example, I have not seen someone get denied when given offer.

same with discover 95%

Message 6 of 11
BootStraps
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Amex's site offers are a pretty good indicator!

Fantastic!

Now for the discipline to sit back until April 1 when the last negative shall disappear from my Ex report...

Message 7 of 11
BootStraps
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@BootStraps wrote:

I'll rephrase...

not nearly as much talk and experience on the amex pre-qual as other sites but I think they are good odds.

as for other sites, you have to keep in mind usually they give 2 different answers when you fill out the pre-qual:

1. CONGRATS... This offer is for you. or.

2. We didn't find any offers, but you might be interested in...

people get that confused a lot I feel and apply when they didn't get an actual offer and then get denied and then we have all the misunderstanding and myths that these pre-approvals are worthless (yes you certainly can still be declined off a pre-qual, but some banks are known to be FAR more accurate then others with the offers)

take my recent offer from Wells that was then declined for a BK.

but chase offers for example, I have not seen someone get denied when given offer.

same with discover 95%

I've seen the misunderstood 'preapprovals' and I agree with you. This is exactly why I came to the site to ask the uberknowledgeable folks like you! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
BootStraps
Established Contributor

Just for comparison, I made up a name and ran it through the prequal site.

It came up with:

Hello, red.

We're sorry we couldn't find a special offer for you. But based on your interests, we think you might like the following Cards:

It offered the same cards that were on the front page of the website, not the ones that were offered to me.

Good to know.

Message 9 of 11
SeattleSuperBowlChampions
New Contributor

I recently did the preapproval form on their website, returned no offers..  Decided to apply for Skymiles gold anyways, got approved.  Leads me to believe this doesn't work too well..

BarclayCard - Rewards MC - 5,000 | Amex - Skymiles Platinum - 18,000 | Chase - Freedom - 3,000 | Chase - Hyatt - 5,000 | Amazon SC - 3,800 | Fidelity AMEX - 17,000 | Chase - Ritz - 10,000
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.