Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Prequals and Suggestions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Prequals and Suggestions

To the mods: I wasn't sure if to throw this in the app section or here.  So if I'm wrong, please feel free to move. Thanks!

I recently checked Amex's Prequal page and saw that I am prequaled for the Gold Delta Skymiles, Platinum, and Premier Rewards Gold Card.  This has changed from a few weeks ago when it was showing the Delta card along with a couple other revolvers. 

A little background:

Recently opened a Cap 1 VentureOne and Chase Freedom back in October. Last card applied for was like 4-5 years prior.

Clean profile with no lates/derogs, etc.

Latest FICO 8 scores are in signature.

I'm currently using my Cap 1 card as my everyday card, but I'd like to get a better rewards/perks card.  I don't fly all that often, maybe 2-3 times a year, but something that can be transferred to Delta would be a plus.  Also, something that can transfer to hotel status would be nice as well. The car rental status and airport lounge access sounds appealing too. The annual fees don't really matter much either as I'm Active Duty and from what I keep reading is the annual fees are waived by Amex for AD. The bonus spend threshold might come into play as well as $1K in 3months for 50K MR sounds a lot more obtainable than $5K in 3 months for 60K MR.  I've been checking Chase's prequals under my account as I've read that the CSP/CSR combines well with the Freedom for Ultimate Rewards, but I feel like that might be a bit as I just got in with them with the Freedom card.

With that being said, I'm wondering what others think...should I make the jump to Amex or hold of? If so...get fancy with the Platinum or go with the PRG? Lastly, I also know about the revolver and charge card 2 for 1 in regards to apping with Amex...so if I apply for one of the charge cards I'll app for the Delta as well.  Thanks for any input!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Prequals and Suggestions

Thanks for servingSmiley Happy.Should you choose to go for Amex you should be fine with your stats. Also you may try for Navy Fed as i dont see it in your siggy if you would like a great CU to spice up your profileSmiley Wink Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 5
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

If I didn't have to pay the AF, I'd get a Plat and show it off everywhere.  Heck, get both Plat and PRG and both bonuses.  110K MR points is enough to go pretty much wherever you want for nearly free.  You could easily apply and get approved for both on the same day. However, if the spend requirement is iffy for you, you'll want to space them out.

Message 3 of 5
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

I'm currently using my Cap 1 card as my everyday card, but I'd like to get a better rewards/perks card.  I don't fly all that often, maybe 2-3 times a year, but something that can be transferred to Delta would be a plus.  Also, something that can transfer to hotel status would be nice as well. The car rental status and airport lounge access sounds appealing too. The annual fees don't really matter much either as I'm Active Duty and from what I keep reading is the annual fees are waived by Amex for AD. The bonus spend threshold might come into play as well as $1K in 3months for 50K MR sounds a lot more obtainable than $5K in 3 months for 60K MR.  I've been checking Chase's prequals under my account as I've read that the CSP/CSR combines well with the Freedom for Ultimate Rewards, but I feel like that might be a bit as I just got in with them with the Freedom card.

Since A/F is not an issue with your active duty status (thank you for your service), I would APP the Delta SkyMiles Card and the AMEX PRG Gold (if minimum spend with the Platinum is unattainable for your right now - You can always app for the Platinum later when there is a huge sign-on bonus). Since you want to fly Delta, your MR points from PRG will transfer 1:1 into SkyMiles with Delta.

Chase does not have Delta as a travel partner, so those cards would not work for you.

My 2 cents.

Message 4 of 5
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@RicHowe wrote:

Since A/F is not an issue with your active duty status (thank you for your service), I would APP the Delta SkyMiles Card and the AMEX PRG Gold (if minimum spend with the Platinum is unattainable for your right now - You can always app for the Platinum later when there is a huge sign-on bonus). Since you want to fly Delta, your MR points from PRG will transfer 1:1 into SkyMiles with Delta.

Chase does not have Delta as a travel partner, so those cards would not work for you.

My 2 cents.

+1 All of this. No need to rush the Platinum app since bonuses are one-in-a-lifetime with AMEX and might be a chance they might increase it in the future assuming you can't find the 100k unicorn offer before then that is (that has to be at least considered). And like the others have said thank you very much for your service.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.