Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Question

I've had my charge card with them for 6 months how long should i wait to apply for one of there credit cards?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Question

I've heard of many people successfuly getting one of their revolving credit cards after 6 months of a charge card.

What is your target card?  For higher end cards like Blue & Clear I would wait another 6 months.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

mjbfan, did you get your AmEx this year? (in 2010)

If so, wait until January 2011 or later.

The subsequent card will have the month that you open it + the year in which you opened your first AmEx.

If you get a second card this year, it will show up as a new card. For instance, if you get one next week, it will show September 2010 for the opening date.

But if you wait until January, the new card will show an opening date of January 2010, so you'll have instant age, and you won't get a new card ding.

If you got your current card in December, say, of last year, then getting a second card next week will have an opening date of September 2009.

Might as well make the AmEx backdating work for you! Smiley Wink

For anyone else reading this who doesn't have an AmEx yet, think about getting one in October-November-December, so that you can work the backdating to your advantage with subsequent cards. If you get your first card in January or February, you'll have to wait a year to get that instant age working for you.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 5
voidman
Established Contributor

Instant age Smiley Happy

That was good info HTSP thanks.

-void
Message 4 of 5
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Adding age to AAoA is a good aspect with Amex Cards.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.