Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Questions

Got in with Amex w/ a Delta Blue ($1000 SL) a few months ago, at 61 days I tried for the 3x CLI, was denied. But I see I'm 'Pre-Approved' for all of their branded cards. I don't want to open another CC up until one of their prime ones open. Anyone have any experience on the length it normally takes for their prime cards to become 'Pre-Approved'? Really want that BCP for the grocery benefits Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Questions

What was the reason cited for the CLI decline?

What do you define as 'prime ones' as far as AmEx cards?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took 3 mths before I saw approvals for BCP and Everyday...the core revolvers. I didn’t try for 3x CLI at 61 days on my first Amex Delta because it was one of those with a $1K limit...I barely got back in after burning AMEX years ago. I did get 3x CLI on my 3rd Amex at 61 days.
Message 3 of 7
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

From my experience pre-approvals from AMEX are very score dependent.

650-680: Hilton and Delta Cards

690-710: Green, Gold, Platinum

720+: Cash Magnet, Blue Cash, Every Day

They hand the co-branded cards out like candy, roll out the carpet for the high AFs but keep the cost effective cards around for the most reliable.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

this is pretty true.

when filling out the prequalification app on amex site, i was prequalified for the everyday, blue cash, and delta.

expeiran fico score was 725 

amex pulls from experian when applying.

@Citylights18 wrote:

They hand the co-branded cards out like candy, roll out the carpet for the high AFs but keep the cost effective cards around for the most reliable.

Message 5 of 7
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

DW received her Gold approval at a 630 EX Fico, I got the business version at 648.  So far no revolvers show up for her on either the personal or biz side but she does get prequals for Gold and Plat for business.  Both of our approvals were prequal.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 6 of 7
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

Assuming you mean one of the core revolvers when you say prime, it took 10 months for me. I got co-brands and charge cards with EX 660-670, core revolvers were pre-approved at EX 670-675. It took about 6 months for the charge cards to be pre-approved.

In my case, I don’t think score played a big role. My pre-approvals and SL/CLI seem to go by use/payment history with AMEX.

YMMV of course.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.