Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Reallocation DP

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Amex Reallocation DP

I was able to move credit via the website from my Delta Platinum to my BCP. The donor is less than two months old, the recipient several years.

The website said I had to leave at least $3,400 on the Delta Platinum. Not sure how that compares to the minimum they will approve. Delta SL was $20k.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Reallocation DP

Great DPs, thanks for sharing. I was under the impression that the donor card had to be open for at least 12 months, but it sounds like that's not the case based on your reallocation.

Which brings up another question. Does a reallocation count toward or does it reset the CLI 'clock' given that the recipient card technically received an CLI via this method?

And, for those that experience a CLD during an approval where AmEx tends to shift limits around, would the CLD count toward a "change" that in effect prevents a CLI due to the reallocation? 🤔
Message 2 of 9
Felony_Phil
Established Contributor

I was approved for the no AF Hilton card Sept '18. 61 day CLI in November '18 from 9k to 18k and was able to instantly move 15k to my BCP which was only 10 months old.

True story.
Message 3 of 9
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I’m not sure where the idea that cards need to be open for a certain period of time came from. I’ve never experienced this and have moved limits on newly opened cards both to and from. I’ve never heard of any restrictions except that you can only do one reallocation in a 30 day period.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caught750 wrote:
I’m not sure where the idea that cards need to be open for a certain period of time came from. I’ve never experienced this and have moved limits on newly opened cards both to and from. I’ve never heard of any restrictions except that you can only do one reallocation in a 30 day period.

Yeah, I agree with you. My father was approved for a Hilton Honors card for $2k in May 2019. Then 61 days later, he received 3X CLI to $6k. He was approved for the Delta Gold for $1k a couple days later. It was no issue to transfer $3k from the Hilton Honors card that was 65 days old to his brand new Delta Gold. 

Message 5 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Caught750 wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you. My father was approved for a Hilton Honors card for $2k in May 2019. Then 61 days later, he received 3X CLI to $6k. He was approved for the Delta Gold for $1k a couple days later. It was no issue to transfer $3k from the Hilton Honors card that was 65 days old to his brand new Delta Gold. 

In 2015 there was a rule (according an an Amex CSR who actually called me back after accidentally giving me bad information, as well as several people on the old CreditCardForum) that the donor card had to be a year old, and the recipient card two months (or maybe 60 days?) old.

By 2017 it had at least been somewhat relaxed, and on a YMMV basis some people could reallocate to a very new card.

But a reallocation from a very new card (especially under 2 months) was a surprise to me.

Message 6 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Caught750 wrote:

In 2015 there was a rule (according an an Amex CSR who actually called me back after accidentally giving me bad information, as well as several people on the old CreditCardForum) that the donor card had to be a year old, and the recipient card two months (or maybe 60 days?) old.

By 2017 it had at least been somewhat relaxed, and on a YMMV basis some people could reallocate to a very new card.

But a reallocation from a very new card (especially under 2 months) was a surprise to me.

just a small bit of info:

I have had better success calling in via phone for re-allocation than the website.

I was once denied online, but approved 10 minutes Later over the phone.

I think it is a lot of "YMMV" on what Amex will do for you depending on your spend,

and how many years as a Solid Amex Customer.

"It depends what chair and what view of The Iceberg, while Cruising The Titanic"Smiley LOL

Signed Admiral, M. Smart

Message 7 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I have had better success calling in via phone for re-allocation than the website.

I think it is a lot of "YMMV" on what Amex will do for you depending on your spend,

"It depends what chair and what view of The Iceberg, while Cruising The Titanic"Smiley LOL

Signed Admiral, M. Smart

Do you know why the website rejected your request? That is, what YMMV "restriction" you were pushing against?

Message 8 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Signed Admiral, M. Smart

Do you know why the website rejected your request? That is, what YMMV "restriction" you were pushing against?

I do not know Exactly why it rejected it?, Possibly Because it was less than 60 Days old on One of The Cards.

I called Amex, and The CSR put Me On Hold For 2-3 Minutes. Came back and Said; "You Are Good To Go"

and "It is effective Immediately"

The YMMV;

I leave as a Clause, Because I have Noticed a difference in How You are Treated, for 35+ years of being a Member.

compared to what is ie: DP's posted for an Amex Member of less than 1 year, with a Starter $500-$1000 CL.

Preferential treatment?, I will leave that up to ones mind to decide. I personally Believe The Facts support my Theory.

and please, i am in no way trying to be sarcastic.

Edited to add: I did not need $45K on My New Amex Schwab Card. and wanted to move $25k to My Hilton.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.