Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Retention Offers or lack there of

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Retention Offers or lack there of

Annual fee coming up in the next couple weeks for my PRG and Delta cards so I figured I'd call AMEX up to se if th y had any offers to offset the annual fee. First call was an o go and the second time I called I ended up talking to the same lady that I talked to a few days ago and she said no again.  this time for the PRG. what am I doing wrong. I tried chatting her up with small talk and just being friendly in general but she said there was no offers for me. Maybe I should call again and pray someone else is there or just give up and cancel at least the gold delta since it's pretty much useless to me. Anyone else have luck with retention offers or any advice? I tried calling just the retention line instead of the number on back of card when I spoke with the same lady as a few days ago.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Retention Offers or lack there of

Probably not doing anything wrong AMEX isn't known for retention offers unless you are putting 50k+ through each of those cards I wouldn't be holding your breath as that is the price meaning AF that you are paying for the benefits of the card if useful.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got one last year on my PRG. I cant remember the specifics, but it was a combination bonus points and statement credit. At the time, it was a primary card and I was putting a good amount through the card. It may be that spend is what they look for.

My PRG and Delta are up in June, and they have basically been SD this year, so I'm not anticipating any enticing offers. I'm ready to close both, so I wouldn't be too upset.

Message 3 of 7
Berk
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Probably not doing anything wrong AMEX isn't known for retention offers unless you are putting 50k+ through each of those cards I wouldn't be holding your breath as that is the price meaning AF that you are paying for the benefits of the card if useful.

I couldn't begin to tell you how much Amex is looking for you to spend annually on the card. However, I'll venture a guess with pretty good odds that Amex is not going to spend money on you if you aren't making them money. They are not a non profit charitable organization. They exist solely to make money.

My company gives me a truck, laptop, cell phone, hotspot, iPad and corporate card. They pay for the airline tickets, hotel rooms, car rentals, gas, repairs, insurance, phone, iPad, and hotspot services (think MR's). They give me all that, not because they feel sorry for me and want me to have what every one else does, but because with all that "stuff", I make them money. Now, lets say I sit at the house and don't work (much like a sock-drawered credit card). Pretty soon I realize that my company is going to fire me if I don't start working for them so I decide to call them up and tell them I'm going to quit unless they get me a brand new truck.

In your opinion, what kind of compensation do you think my company is going to offer me in order to keep such a valuable employee? And, I lose all the MR points to boot.

Message 4 of 7
bz386
Frequent Contributor

This is all conjecture. There's plenty of people over on FlyerTalk that have spent zero dollars beyond the minimum spend required for a bonus, yet they received a retention bonus when they called to cancel.

Think of it this way: if you spend a lot on the card, chances are you find value in the card and your threat of canceling is just a bluff.

There are plenty of stories of people who have had the card since the 90s and put huge spend on it (as in tens of thousands per month) yet received no retention offer whatsoever.

I suggest you decide if you want to cancel or not. If you do, call them, fully expecting that they will do so. They might or might not surprise you with an offer.
Message 5 of 7
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Amex is funny with retention offers. A couple months ago I was set to close my Platinum Mercedes and they offered either 20k points or $250. I'd already used my $200 annual airline reimbursement and only put around 1k spend through the card last year. I think it had more to do with it being a Platinum and Amex not pushing the PRG quite as hard.
Message 6 of 7
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

retention should done after the fee posts - I would wait half way into the 30 day cancel window.  you don't have to spend a dime to get an offer, I got $ 75 2 months before my fee is due and I dont use the card at all anymore.  you can also get multiple retentions so it pays to call a few random times during the year.  its pretty easy to get a 25K ED to show which will makes a nice place to store points if the offer is not to your liking.  good luck

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.