Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Revolving Credit Cap

tag
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

Amex Revolving Credit Cap

Does Amex really cap your revolving credit at 40 percent of your income?

760 (TU) 755 (EX) 740 (EQ)

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Revolving Credit Cap

I wouldn't say 40% but yes they have an internal threshold whereas they won't increase your limits but so do all lenders 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 26
tryingagain62
Contributor

Is this threshold across all of your cards or just the ones you have with Amex? My income is $58K yr. with a $7K CL in Amex revolvers and a $68K CL over all my other cards.I was just approved for a BCE with a CL of $2K and would like to get the 61 day 3X CLI on it but I don't want to poke the bear.

Message 3 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

@tryingagain62 wrote:

Is this threshold across all of your cards or just the ones you have with Amex? My income is $58K yr. with a $7K CL in Amex revolvers and a $68K CL over all my other cards.I was just approved for a BCE with a CL of $2K and would like to get the 61 day 3X CLI on it but I don't want to poke the bear.

We wish we knew the answer to that but to many variables DTI, UTL, etc etc 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 26
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

thanks for the info.

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 5 of 26
nyancat
Established Contributor

Absolutely not, I'm now at 93% of my income in credit cards with Amex. I also don't come close to using these limits, and I have an absolutely flawless credit history. I've never once in my life revolved credit of any type. I use all my credit cards as if they were charge cards, and I charge within my means.

I think if I ever actually carried a balance, it'd probably spook Amex. I also think they should be spooked if I ever did - my attitude to credit is such that it'd literally have to be life or death to get me to carry a balance.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 6 of 26
nyancat
Established Contributor

P.S. to add to my suspicion AmEx wouldn't be okay with me deciding to use my cards as credit, not as charge cards, they sure gave me a strong disincentive - 19.24% on my new Delta Gold card (the worst of three possible rates), but a very decent credit line of $7,300. They seem to want me using the card, as long as I pay them in full every month.

I don't blame them, if they look at my report they know right well it'd be extremely out of character for me to even THINK about carrying a balance.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 7 of 26
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

P.S. to add to my suspicion AmEx wouldn't be okay with me deciding to use my cards as credit, not as charge cards, they sure gave me a strong disincentive - 19.24% on my new Delta Gold card (the worst of three possible rates), but a very decent credit line of $7,300. They seem to want me using the card, as long as I pay them in full every month.

I don't blame them, if they look at my report they know right well it'd be extremely out of character for me to even THINK about carrying a balance.

It seems like everyone gets the highest APR on delta cards. 

Message 8 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@MrCollector wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

It seems like everyone gets the highest APR on delta cards. 

FWIW, DH's APR  is 15.24% on his Delta

Message 9 of 26
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

I started at 15.24% on Delta and was able to get it lowered to 12.24% a few months ago via online chat

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.