Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Reward Dollars

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Reward Dollars

To report on my test:

I had $75 total due for the last month, all of which came from the annual fee. I selected to take $75 statement credit from my available Reward Dollars cashback account. It was applied today to my BCP account. The minimum payment is now updated to be showing zero. The account balance now says zero. So the statement credit did apply to the minimum payment and the fees.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 21 of 24
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Very good to know! That is different than some of my other cards, sorry for any misinformation!

Thanks for testing, and thanks to CreditAddict for pointing it out!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 22 of 24
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I think Mailak's situation is different. The cashback totaled the statement balance. Once applied, there was no balance to post any payment against... Which would make the minimum payment $0.

From what I understand, if you have a payment due, the payment goes against the previous statement balance. If you apply a credit, that credit posts against the current balance (previous month statement + current charges). As long as there is still a balance after the statement credit posts (and it's more than the payment amount), the payment is still due.

It's just like any other credit that's applied (credit for AF, returned merchandise after statement cut)...it doesn't go against payment unless the credit reduces the balance below the payment due.

Amex may be different (I haven't used my rewards dollars yet), but my other cards work in this manner.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 23 of 24
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

FYI...This is the Amex statement regarding statement credits that's on my account...

"Pay yourself back by redeeming rewards dollars for credit on your NEXT statement."
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.